Unable to choose ext subs when playing mkv with embedded subs (1 Viewer)

dimako

Portal Member
January 24, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi,

im having a problem watchin a mkv movie with external subtitles when there is embedded subtitles in the mkv file.
i have tried clicking on info but i can only choose the embedded subs(which i can see) or no subtitles.

i cannot choose an external subtitles it only plays the embedded subs.

can you please tell me how can i solve this issue?

Thank You.

VicBond007

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
The way I solved it was to use ffdshow's subtitle filter, with the "use internal subtitles" option unchecked. If I just leave this on all the time, then if there are external subs, ffdshow will pick it up. If there are internal subs, Mediaportal will pick it up. If there are both, then I just need to turn the internal subs off with the key to do so (In my case, L). If I want the internal subs, but not the external ones, I just delete the external ones. If there are no subs at all, no harm no foul.

This works for everything because I have ffshow set to process everything except mpeg2s, and none of my mpeg2s have external subs so I could care less if that feature is missing :)

dimako

Portal Member
January 24, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
you dont use haali media splitter to decode mkv files? tell you the truth i might be a little bit confused because in ffdshow i chosen the x264 is disabled (because i installed CoreAvc codec for encoding x264).... so as far as i understand i am using coreavc + haali and you using just ffdshow?

VicBond007

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
haali doesn't decode anything. It's just a splitter, and I do use it. I do not use CoreAVC. The picture quality is terrible even in 1.6.5.0. Fine details at 1080p are blurred, and the saturation is blown out of proportion, even if I manually adjust it to 16-235 in, 0-255 out. Grab an ffdshow-tryout SVN build. h.264 decoding supports dual-core now, and even though it needs more CPU than CoreAVC, it produces a much better image in my opinion. The other advantage is that by using ffdshow to decode, I can take advantage of all of it's filters (such as changing the video delay) without having to do the raw video filtering trick.

dimako

Portal Member
January 24, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
well i would be glad to use ffdshow but the problem is that i have an old cpu..... it is a p4 2.8 ghz(prescott) comp with 1 gb of ram so when i tried to use ffdshow i was using 100% cpu all the time and it was impossible to watch x264 videos....

VicBond007

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
Then you'll have to set ffdshow-raw as a video post processor and tell ffdshow to handle raw video in the codec config to achieve the same effect. The process has been discussed here numerous times. This way, CoreAVC will decode your video and then ffdshow will be used to apply filters to the rendered video.

dimako

Portal Member
January 24, 2008
Home Country
Israel Israel
can you please explain me how do i do it?

Thank you, and sorry for the harassment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom