Unable to play a simple Dvd (1 Viewer)

kalif

Portal Member
March 11, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hello All

I'm sure it is a really common problem and the answer is somewhere but after hours of search on the forum i can't find it.:sorry:

I just want to play dvd in mp and i've got nothing.
It's not ripped dvd in iso, it's not a copy of dvd, it's a real dvd ;)

When I insert the disc, i've got the msg "do you want to play", i say "yes" then nothing happens. No bluescreen,no blackscreen, in fact, nothing :confused:
Mp doesn't responds after, seems freezing.

I tried with 3 differents dvd movie with the same result, no result ...

First, I disable all "autorun" action on the dvd drive to avoid things started when I put dvd on the driver.
Then I checked if "play dvd" plugin was enabled , yes it is
Also, I checked that playing dvd without MP is working and it's ok with powerdvd.

Then I checked the codecs used because a lot of threads refer to this.
I've got powerdvd9 installed, so I select all "pdvd9" for navigator & video and nothing changes.
Switch back to the default , nothing changes.

Can someone say me which kind of information is needed and also explain me how to supply this information ?

I will really appreciate any help .

Tks

kalif

Portal Member
March 11, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
No news on it ?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to fight this problem.
MP Users, give me your feedback or ideas

kalif

Portal Member
March 11, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi All.

Finally it is working.
I found a post about dvd post processing where I need to add on filter "ffdshow audio + video"
Then I changed the codecs used to put normal selection (the default I guess) and it's working

:D

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi All.

Finally it is working.
I found a post about dvd post processing where I need to add on filter "ffdshow audio + video"
Then I changed the codecs used to put normal selection (the default I guess) and it's working

:D

I have the same problem you mention in the first post. Which post about are you referring to? I can't find anything about post processing related to DVD autoplay in the forums. Problem persists after adding the above filters to DVD post processing in MP.

kalif

Portal Member
March 11, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi.

I can't find a new time this post.
I think i've used more than 2 hours on the forum to read all the post to find some "clue".

I made some screenshot when I found the tip, maybe it can help you, cf .doc file

Attachments

• PLayDVDInMediaPortal.doc
    30.7 KB

tomoqv

Portal Pro
June 28, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
This is not a codec issue and it is not a Win 7 issue. After hours of testing and surfing the forums, I found out that this is a bug in MP 1.1.0 Beta. I installed the latest SVN release and the problem is gone.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I recently had the same problem as the OP of this thread. But for me it's not all DVDs that won't play, just some of them. I'm using all PDVD7 codecs for DVD in MP, but for some reason it won't play some DVDs (hangs just like the OP describes, with DVD drive thrashing about like it's a damaged disc). All the problematic DVDs play in PowerDVD7 itself. I've tried fiddling with codecs (audio and video) in MP but I can only make it worse.

I had one over the weekend that my daughter had borrowed from the library - couldn't play it. Disc was new-looking (not scratched to bits like some of the children's DVDs from the library). Sometimes I've had success copying the disc to the hdd first, but couldn't do that because it was massively copy-protected. I was about to give up and assume it would only play in a "real" DVD player, then decided to try PDVD - played it perfectly.

So, what's the difference between playing a DVD in MP using PDVD7 codecs and playing it using the PDVD front-end? Does it do it a completely different way? It's not really that much of a problem for me personally because we very rarely play DVDs (and quite a few of them work in MP anyway), but it would be nice not to have to get the keyboard out to run PDVD for those ones that won't play in MP if anybody knows a solution.

Rob

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi RobNorthcott

I feel your pain, I also sometimes have problems playing DVD's with MediaPortal. I've solved most of my problems by running "AnyDVD", or "DVD43" which removes the copy-protection. But I agree with your comments, its only MediaPortal that has this problem....and the problem has been around for a very long time.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm not really moaning about MP. If I played DVDs more often it might be different, but for now it's more of a curiosity than a problem. I don't really know how the DVD->player->codec chain works, so I'm just curious how PDVD itself can play files that Windows can't even read (it reckons there's 56GB on the disc!), and why another front end (in this case MP) can't play the same disc when it's apparently using the same codecs. I don't think it works in MS MediaPlayer either. Obviously the player front-end must have to do more than point the file at the required codec, otherwise it would work in both PowerDVD and MP using PDVD codecs, but I don't know enough about it to come up with an explanation - I was just hoping somebody else did.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom