unable to play live2-0.ts.tsbuffer (1 Viewer)

KitanaiYatsu

Portal Member
February 23, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: XP sp3
CPU Type: Intel P4 3.08
HDD: Seagate 1.5TB, Seagate 40GB
Memory: 2GB, PC2700
Motherboard: Intel D865GLCLK
Video Card: Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR-US
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I installed MediaPortal as a single seat install with TV support. TV recording works, and the TV Server will perform the timeshift as well. But when I attempt to watch a live/timeshift TV program from MediaPortal, I get the error "Unable to play: live2-0.ts.tsbuffer."

After quite a bit of digging, I installed MediaPortal on another duplicate box as a Client Only install. The MediaPortal Client is able to view the timeshift just fine -- pause, rewind, all work.

I also attempted to view the timeshifted program using VLC on a linux box connecting to rtsp://hdtv/stream2.0. That works also.

I have confirmed that I'm able to play the recorded programs as well as other video's I have on my HD. I have confirmed that Windows Firewall is set off, and I have been able to use VLC on the TV Server box to connect to the rtsp stream.

I have included my logs (as required) however, I don't see any obvious errors.

Any help would be appreciated.

KitanaiYatsu

Portal Member
February 23, 2011
Home Country
In the above post, I may have jumped to hastily to claim that transport stream playback was working. I have a recorded TS video that plays correctly via MP. However, I have 5 others that do not. With MediaInfo, I can see that the working file has a video stream of 11.8Mbps, 1280x720 @ 59.94, MPG2. The not working files are all 14.9Mbps, 1920x1080 @ 29.970, MPG2. The Text and Audio streams appear to be the same for all files.

My display resolution is 1600x1200 @60. Will DS fail to show a video if it's bigger than the display resolution?

KitanaiYatsu

Portal Member
February 23, 2011
Home Country
In the above two posts, I made a number of assumptions (you know what they say)...:oops:

1) The HD Tuner (HDHomeRun) software included a MPEG-2 decoder. It doesn't seem to.
2) That I was able to watch live TV using VLC meant that it was using a MPEG-2 codec Apparently that's not the whole story.
3) That being able to watch live TV using VLC would mean that I'd be able to watch recorded TV using VLC. I can't.

After scrubbing the HD and reinstalling WinXPsp3+updates, VLC and the HDHomeRun software, I was still not able to play the recordings. I wasn't able to play it with VLC, nor with Widows Media Player. Not in a boat. Not with a goat. :mad: WMP was somewhat helpful in that it actually told me that it couldn't play the file and told me why -- no MPEG-2 codec. After soul and web searching, I found this link:
Download details: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility
It allows you to look for and check compatibility of the MPEG-2 codecs that are installed on your system. In my case, I had none. I checked various download pages and searched the Silicondust forum pages, but was not able to find any reference to a downloadable MPEG-2 codec. I then checked the system where everything works... sure enough, I have an MPEG-2 codec installed that came with the DVD Player software that was included with my DVD Burner.

After doing quite a bit a trial and error/failure, I have found that while I'm able to watch live TV from my HDHomeRun using VLC, the video stream is not the same as the TransportStream (.ts) files that are saved when recording. According to VLC, it uses the MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv) and A52 Audio (aka Ac3) (a52) codecs to play the live stream. It doesn't appear that VLC is able to connect the MPGV and A52 codecs to the correct pins as the statistics window says that gobs of file data has been read, but none has been decoded by either of the codecs.

I've tried to enable Debug Logging in VLC to see what/how it's connecting the mpgv and a52 coeds. But that doesn't seem to be giving me useful results. In any case, it looks like I'll need to install the MPEG-2 software from my DVD burner on my "other" system.

I think it would be helpful if the setup Wiki included the link above and gave details about where to get a MPEG-2 codec.

KitanaiYatsu

Portal Member
February 23, 2011
Home Country
So... I actually have 4 DVD Burners. 3 of them where purchased as standalone/after-market products and came with DVD playing/burning software. The 4th came with the DELL box it's currently installed in. It too came with DVD playing/burning software.

While the 3 after-market DVD products are all able to play DVD's, none of them is able to play the .TS files produced by MP when it records HD programming from my HDHR. Further, even though the MP config tool allows me to select the MPEG-2 codec's from each of those players, it continues to get the same error(s) when attempting to playback recorded programs.

Unfortunately, the 4th DVD player is locked to the DELL box. I attempted to install it on the Gateway box that's giving me troubles... but I get an error saying "Installation is only allowed on DELL." So... Obviously, I'm not going to get too far with that.

But.... I scrubbed another HD and installed Win7sp1 on it. Without any additional software, the Win7 install was able to play everything.

I guess the bottom line is that either I'll have to pay for a compatible DVD player software package, or I'll have to pay for a Win7 COA for each HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom