Unable to Preview/SWEncoder missing (1 Viewer)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just swapped out two of my FloppyDTV cards (which seem to have died at the same time) for a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000-HD quad PCI card.

(Had a Pinnacle in for a while, that kept breaking up on FreeView, this seems MUCH better.)

I'm trying to suck in the Sky box signal via the S-Video line on the card (Not composite that has the FreeView CoAx in there) and using the WinTV software that comes with the card (Nice one Hauppauge, works quite nicely) it comes up OK.

Sound and vision all working (blanck & white until my RGB-S-Video converter turns up - sigh, so much money Sky have cost me).

But enabling the S-Video channel under MediaPortal/TVServer when I try to preview it I get the SWEncoder missing.

(See - I got there in the end.)

Two things -

(1) It is working under WinTV so it either doesn't need one (I set hardware enabled but not sure if it is actually useful/used)

(2) I can't see anywhere that I can tell TVServer about a SWEncoder.

Oh, if I try to tune analogue channels it crashes TVServer Configuration (as noted elsewhere) - but I don't have analogue signals so we'll ignore that.

Anyone know what I doing wrong?

Thank you for any help.

It'll be both nasty and nice when the new version comes out - I can finally get down to a totally clean install (but I also have to remember what to do/rejig afterwards).

I DID find the manual page mentioned in another replay (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/UserGuides/SW-Cards_setup) but I don't have an Encder section in MP COnfig. My list goes - Pictures, Remote, Direct Show Filter Control, Weather, Plugins. The Direct Show entry has 6 Decoders, no Encoders!

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    No help at all?

C'mon guys.

I said I must be missing something, so I'm not being arrogant just asking what I need.

If it plays fine in the Hauppauge WinTV software then either it has hardware encoding or there IS a software encoder. (Although I have no idea what/where.)

What am I missing?

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Cards that don't have hardware-encoding chip usually requires a Microsoft supported software encoder. WinTV software natively supports the hardware, but with other software you need this software-encoder installed. Sorry I don't know much about how to get it to work because I always buy cards with hardware-encoding chips..just because I don't want to deal with this type of problem...

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    Installed and...

Nothing!

Still get the no SWEncoder message and no Encoder section in MP/TV config.

Downloaded the MainConcept MCEEncoder - is this right?

And yes I agree, it is hard work dealing with s/w encoders but there are few cards around that do hardware encoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom