Unable to start HTPC with DVI>HDMI cable inserted. Gives no signal? (1 Viewer)

Atarian

Portal Member
November 26, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I can't start the PC with the DVI>HDMI cable inserted, only the s-video>component cable works. Then I can insert the DVI cable afterwards and everything works. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Atarian

Portal Member
November 26, 2007
Home Country
Nvidia 8600GT
Sony Bravia (cant remember the model name, but brand new)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Do you have a VGA input? try connecting the VGA cable permanently. Sometimes the drivers want a good old fashioned VGA or SVHS to start.

Otherwise, do you have an option in the display control panel to force any outputs?

Atarian

Portal Member
    November 26, 2007
    Home Country
    ok, just ran some tests. The PC will boot with a monitor plugged straight into the DVI (no HDMI adapter).
    The PC will not boot with both the s-video and DVI cable in at the same time, but the DVI>HDMI is the one that gets the display for the couple seconds of motherboard boot screen.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    is there any option in the BIOS for the output?
    Usually you can set the starting outputs in BIOS, since this all happens before windows, the nVidia drivers don't take effect yet.
    Also, you can sometimes choose to force an output via the BIOS.
    Check the manufacturers web site for BIOS updates as well.

Good luck.

Atarian

Portal Member
    November 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Well, it technically works with the DVI, I booted it up directly connected to my PC monitor via DVI and everything was fine. Could it be an issue with the HDMI on the TV not picking it up? A handshake issue or something?

SteffenHam

December 12, 2007
    Frankfurt am Main
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

are there any jumper to switch between DVI and HDMi on the Nvidia-Card? I think, you can only use the DVI or the HDMI-Port, not together. Maybe You can only boot the system with the TV and without the PC-Monitor, because the PC-Monitor is not HDCP-compliant. The resolutions are compliant to the TV?

Atarian

Portal Member
    November 26, 2007
    Home Country
    There is no hdmi on board. it is a DVI to HDMI cable. I cant boot with the TV, but I can with a PC monitor. The monitor is using a regular DVI cable, which works perfectly, the TV is using a DVI cable with an HDMI plug on the end, which does not work to boot up the PC. After the PC successfully boots via s-video cable I can insert the DVI to HDMI cable with no problems and everything looks great. Native 1080p with no scaling or stretching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom