Unable to tune every 1st time (1 Viewer)

mrspock

Portal Pro
September 14, 2008
Madrid
Home Country
Spain Spain
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 wide
Windows Version: W7SP1 pro 64b
CPU Type: Intel core 2, 2.40GHz
HDD: Western Digital 1Tb
Memory: 6Gb
Motherboard: Intel DG965WH
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6600
Video Card Driver: 8.17.11.9713
Sound Card: motherboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: High Definition Audio 6.1.7600.16385
1. TV Card: Pinnacle Dual PCI DVBT
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.2.0.0
2. TV Card: Technisat Skystar 2
2. TV Card Type: DVB-S
2. TV Card Driver: 4.6.0
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MS DTV-DVD Video Decoder
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: MainConcept AVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: 19.2ºE Astra, 28.2ºE Eurobird, 30ºW Hispasat, 13ºE Hot Bird
HTPC Case: Thermaltake Bach
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: imon 7.85.0222 (firm 0x30)
TV: Loewe
TV - HTPC Connection: S-video

Hi.

This is an issue I've been experienced since several versions ago. Hope the logs I obtained will be useful to solve it.

The problem doesn't happen always, but most of the times I start MP from Windows, or I start MP restarting Windows, it happens. In addition, it also happens some times when PC wakes from sleep.

The problem:
I try to turn on TV to watch one channel (the channel choosen is not importat as it happens with all of them). After few seconds, I usually got a message "Unable to start scheme". If I try to tune again the same channel, the message appears again...
But if I try tu tune any other channel, I tune it successfully. Then I can go back to tune the first channel and everything is ok.

So, the problem is when trying to watch the first channel for the first time (after seconds or minutes from the start).

The steps I used to generate the logs are the following:
  1. Start MP
  2. 1:18: try to tune channel "La 1" => error
  3. 1:19: try to tune channel "CUATRO" => success
  4. 1:19: try to tune channel "La 1" => success
  5. 1:19: stop tv
  6. 1:19: try to tune channel "La 1" => success
  7. 1:19: close MP

So, the steps could change the channels or repeat step 2 several times, but most of the times this is what happen.

This sometimes happens when one recording is scheduled. If TV has never been on since last restart, the odds are the recording will fail.

Thanks for help me.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mrspock

I guess this issue would be *very* annoying when it causes recordings to be missed! :(
    The problem here seems to be caused by a tuner driver issue. Sometimes drivers have unusual behaviour like that after resuming from standby/hibernate. You could try to delay card detection (in TV Server configuration in the "general" section) by 10 seconds (trial and error required) to give the Pinnacle drivers more time to reinitialise, but that is really all I can think of. I would have also recommended trying other [older] drivers but your 4.2.0.0 drivers are already very old (dated 2006) and PCTV Systems doesn't seem to have any other drivers available for the Dual DVB-T (2000i). Perhaps Microsoft has updated generic drivers for that chipset - have you tried to remove the Pinnacle/PCTV Systems drivers and do a Microsoft update to get Microsoft drivers? The final thing that you could try is to use the DVB-T network provider instead of the generic network provider - that setting can be found in the card properties when you click "edit" from the tuner list...

mrspock

Portal Pro
    September 14, 2008
    Madrid
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi mm1352000.

Thanks for your ideas. This is what I have done (hope to help somebody else):
    • Delay card detection. Tried 3 and 5 seconds and no change. Sincerely, I didn't think this would solve the issue.
    • Use DVB-T network provider setting instead of generic: Done and everything is working! :D
    • Use older drivers. Didn't try.
    • Use Microsoft drivers. Didn't try, but I think that there were no drivers provided by Microsoft update when I installed W7 (should check again).

In the last 3 weeks testing, I had only once the "unable to start scheme" error (but it was a different scenario) and never missed a recording.

:D :D

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mrspock

Thanks for reporting back - I'm glad the issue seems to be resolved! :D

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom