Unicode / Chinese / Korean / Japanese / Thai / Hebrew (1 Viewer)

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
Hi,

i have music with the tags for languages mentioned in the subject, but MP do not even play them. I have to rename the filename to use english characters instead of the correct name and tags from the file are never shown(only if they are in the english language). :cry:

If i tried to change the language i could find korean, but after trying to use that it's all in english.

Is MeadiaPortal just not able to display those languages? If it is capable, i would really appreciate if someone explain me how to enable it. If it could not work that way, i have to find a different app which could, just tell me if it (not yet) could.

Thank you for your time reading this.

I was trying to use 0.2.0.0 RC4.

Isaac Lin

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
Taiwan
You need to modify fonts.xml files in <working>ediaportal\xbmc\bin\Debug\skin\BlueTwo. My language is using Traditional Chinese, so my example is as follows,
<font>
<name>TWfont13</name>
<start>19968</start>
<end>40869</end>
<filename>MingLiu</filename>
<height>13</height>
</font>
<font>

You need to fill in the start field for Korean language ~

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
Re: Unicode and fonts.xml

thanks for the response, I removed C:\Programme\MediaPortal\Skin\BlueTwo\fonts and
modified C:\Programme\MediaPortal\Skin\BlueTwo\fonts.xml
for <bold>only</bold> the font13 as follow:
<quote>
<font>
<name>font13</name>
<start>19968</start>
<end>40869</end>
<height>13</height>
</font>
</quote>
The png's from fonts/*.png seems to be too small and there are several errors like:
<quote>
10/07/2006 19:10:02 render exception:confused:ystem.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.FontEngineDrawText3D(Int32 fontNumber, Void* text, Int32 xposStart, Int32 yposStart, UInt32 intColor, Int32 maxWidth)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.DrawText(Single xpos, Single ypos, Color color, String text, RenderFlags flags, Int32 maxWidth)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFont.DrawText(Single xpos, Single ypos, Int64 color, String label, Alignment alignment, Int32 maxWidth)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIThumbnailPanel.RenderText(Single fPosX, Single fPosY, Int64 dwTextColor, String wszText, Boolean bScroll)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIThumbnailPanel.RenderItem(Single timePassed, Int32 iButton, Boolean bFocus, Int32 dwPosX, Int32 dwPosY, GUIListItem pItem, Boolean buttonOnly)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIThumbnailPanel.Render(Single timePassed)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIFacadeControl.Render(Single timePassed)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIGroup.Render(Single timePassed)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIWindow.Render(Single timePassed)
</quote>

I tried to use ArialUnicodeMS instead, still doesn't work. Anything else i need to change ( 0.2.0.0 RC4 Release is used) ? Limits 19968 to 40869 are quite more than 0-255 are ok? Somewhere i read they could be approx. 5000.

Isaac Lin

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
Taiwan
Re: Unicode and fonts.xml

I tried to use ArialUnicodeMS instead, still doesn't work. Anything else i need to change ( 0.2.0.0 RC4 Release is used) ? Limits 19968 to 40869 are quite more than 0-255 are ok? Somewhere i read they could be approx. 5000.

Yes, the default amount of the max character is 5000 or 8000. In my environemtn, I need to display Traditional Chinese, so the rang is from 19968 to 40869 for commonly used in daily life(it's require to change font engine for non-english language). However, rang 0-255 is only containing English and numeric characters, not for Korean language. Therefore, we need to modified the end field in my example: (It will missing some of the characters on screen after modification)
<font>
<name>TWfont13</name>
<start>19968</start>
<end>24968</end>
<height>13</height>
</font>
<font>

Unicode character ranges and the Unicode fonts that support them:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fontsbyrange.html#ufe30

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
I would also perfer to show all the chinese characters, anyway i tried to lower the number(i tried to just use just the first 2000, the fonts/font13_13.png could be viewed than):

<font>
<name>font13</name>
<start>19968</start>
<end>20968</end> <40869>
<filename>ArialUni</filename>
<height>13</height>
</font>

I could see some chinese characters, but no longer any a-zA-Z. I assume i have to use 0-40869. How could the Limit about 5000 or 8000 be removed/extended? If i increase the number i got just those errors and no display.

Isaac Lin

Portal Member
March 31, 2006
Taiwan
RE: How could remove or extended Limit 5000 or 8000?

Basically, you need to obtain source code from SVN server or sourceforge.net., because it containing in the source code which is fontEngine.cpp in <working>\mediaportal\Core\fontEngine. It's not a good idea to increase capacity which will require more video memory and display tiny characters on screen.

Origenal:
  • #define MAX_TEXTURE_COORDS 8000
    #define MaxNumfontVertices 8000
After modification:
  • #define MAX_TEXTURE_COORDS 40869
    #define MaxNumfontVertices 40869

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
I fetched the MS C# Install, installed it, fetched the NET2.0 SDK, installed it, fetched the TortoiseSVN and used it to fetch the Mediaportal sources.

After double-click "MediaPortal.VC#Express.sln" and from the Menu selecting Build/Rebuild Solution with 17 warnings and there is a MediaPortal.exe at xmbc/Debug. But if i start it, it has no skins(because there are none in that directory) and the app exits. At xmbc/Release there are skins, but no exe.

Copying the skins from Release to Debug doesn't help. I got the MediaPortal screen but the first click shows a Message-Box "File not found: Dialogs ..." error with immediate exit of the app.

Any pointers how to get the exe running?

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
After copy Dialogs\bin\Debug\Dialog.dll into the path where MediaPortal.exe is the Dialogs error is gone.

I increased MAX_TEXTURE_COORDS and MaxNumfontVertices to 40969, but inside fonts.xml start/end values 19968-26968 are possible. If end is set to 27968 or higher the program would no longer work.

Something else needed to be changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom