Update to 1.1.3 TVservice problem (1 Viewer)

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0RC6->1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome 3.3
Windows Version: winxp mce2005 build 2600.xpsp080413-2111: SP3
CPU Type: Athlon 4850e
HDD: 32GB SSD + 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1000GB
Memory: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Bios F7
Video Card: ATI HD5570
Video Card Driver: Catlayst latest
Sound Card: M Audio Transit USB optical SPDIF OUT
Sound Card AC3: Transit USB optical SPDIF out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Blackgold BTG 3540 6in1
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T x 2 , DVB-S x 2
1. TV Card Driver: 6.0.0.38
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF Cyberlink PDVD10
MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF FFDSHOW SPDIF out via Transit USB
h.264 Video Codec: SAF Cyberlink PDVD10
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Digital Terrestrial, Multisat motorised system
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
Cooling: Zalmann (huge copper thing)
Power Supply: 320W Antec Fusion
Remote: Harmony via USB UIRT
TV: Pioneer PDP-508XD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Recently upgraded to 1.1.3 after many moons away from MP. Was using 1.1.0R6

Noticed some issues. Have to say process was far from straight forward.

Most troublesome was the fact that the upgrade process failed to update the TVservice resulting in the TVservice and MP app being different versions. This resulted in a system which could not be upgraded and required a full clean install. Not a pleasant user experience as some would say.

Anyway to investigate why this might have been I tried to manually stop the TVService using the windows control panel/computer management/services app built into Windows XP.

Using the stop button failed to halt TVService - which is presumably why your install app. failed. When Service stop is instructed then after a long delay windows announced that the service cannot be stopped! Unfortunately - no "bloody try harder" option exists. Pls note this is a bog standard XP SP3 setup and is not unusual in any way (that I'm aware).

Only way to kill TVservice was to hit disable in service startup options and then reboot PC.

Further, to investigate if TVservice 1.1.0R6 was somehow strange and "unstoppable" I investigated trying to stop 1.1.3 TVservice. It too is unstoppable in my machine.

Maybe consider changing the install app to instruct user to disable the TVService and reboot before proceeding with install. Would save lots of install issue and save some users many hours. Maybe try to stop service and only proceed with update if service really has stopped, time-out to disable and reboot after a suitable time.

K

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Recently upgraded to 1.1.3 after many moons away from MP. Was using 1.1.0R6

Noticed some issues. Have to say process was far from straight forward.

Most troublesome was the fact that the upgrade process failed to update the TVservice resulting in the TVservice and MP app being different versions. This resulted in a system which could not be upgraded and required a full clean install. Not a pleasant user experience as some would say.

Anyway to investigate why this might have been I tried to manually stop the TVService using the windows control panel/computer management/services app built into Windows XP.

Using the stop button failed to halt TVService - which is presumably why your install app. failed. When Service stop is instructed then after a long delay windows announced that the service cannot be stopped! Unfortunately - no "bloody try harder" option exists. Pls note this is a bog standard XP SP3 setup and is not unusual in any way (that I'm aware).

Only way to kill TVservice was to hit disable in service startup options and then reboot PC.

Further, to investigate if TVservice 1.1.0R6 was somehow strange and "unstoppable" I investigated trying to stop 1.1.3 TVservice. It too is unstoppable in my machine.

Maybe consider changing the install app to instruct user to disable the TVService and reboot before proceeding with install. Would save lots of install issue and save some users many hours. Maybe try to stop service and only proceed with update if service really has stopped, time-out to disable and reboot after a suitable time.

K

Hi Kev

We're fully aware of the issues with installs when the TV Service can't be stopped. Please note the comments in the "installing 1.2.0b" section -->here<-- where we recommend that users stop the service before upgrading.

In your case I'd be curious to know if you're running on a user, power user or administrator level account. You should be able to use task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) to "kill" the TVService.exe process even if it doesn't respond to the Windows commands - it isn't ideal, but it is better than having to disable...

mm

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As long as you are aware of the issue then all is well.

It is so long since I have played with MP I had forgotten the tweaks and subtleties of getting it installed and working. I may be some time. Forum is still way too big.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom