Updating movie database "on the fly" (1 Viewer)

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
Hi, it is something that I was trying to make it work for some time now but to no avail...

Or to put it in a question:
Is there a way for "moving pictures" to update my movies' database all the while I'm using MediaPortal?

i.e. My HTPC machine is on at all times with MediaPortal on. Is there a way -by copying a movie in question to the corresponding folder- to have a movie show up "on the fly"? A bit like it happens with the "pictures" module in MP?

Thanks for your attention.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi, it is something that I was trying to make it work for some time now but to no avail...

Or to put it in a question:
    Is there a way for "moving pictures" to update my movies' database all the while I'm using MediaPortal?

i.e. My HTPC machine is on at all times with MediaPortal on. Is there a way -by copying a movie in question to the corresponding folder- to have a movie show up "on the fly"? A bit like it happens with the "pictures" module in MP?

Thanks for your attention.

It does this by default, but you have options to enable/disable this behaviour, so make sure it is still working.

However, the movies you are adding have to be of a certain quality to allow auto-approval.

• "The Pink Panther [1963] [tt0057413].avi" = 100% match due to IMDb ID of tt0057413 being inside filename.
    • "The Pink Panther.avi" + "The Pink Panther.nfo" = 100% match assuming the NFO file contains tt0057413 in it.
    • "The Pink Panther [1963].avi" = 99.9% match, due to title + year finding a correct match, there are a few exceptions that will require manual verification

But "The Pink Panther.avi" is going to require manual verification via configuration panel, due to multiple movies that exist with the same title, and will not auto-approve while you are inside MediaPortal (unless the popularity index is very high).

You can see all this in the log file as well. I have a little batch file myself that runs:

Code:
    find "Added """ "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log\movingpictures.log"

So if you turn the log folder in a shared folder, you can check it from any other computer on your network (I use concurrent RDP myself).

MovingPictures will refresh the listing automatic as well after an import scan.

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Even though I may choose the auto-approval option to be "reckless", even though I may put the right name, the file does not show up on MP's interface. The only way to update the database is to do it manually, but that requires to close MediaPortal and open MovingPictures' options (a thing that I'm unable/hard to do since my HTPC sports a remote control *only*).

It's as if I never put the file in the folder in the first place (even though I did). Reinstalling the plugin will help or not?

Thanks.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Even though I may choose the auto-approval option to be "reckless", even though I may put the right name, the file does not show up on MP's interface. The only way to update the database is to do it manually, but that requires to close MediaPortal and open MovingPictures' options (a thing that I'm unable/hard to do since my HTPC sports a remote control *only*).

It's as if I never put the file in the folder in the first place (even though I did). Reinstalling the plugin will help or not?

Thanks.

Ok, just to make sure you didn't adjust the default setting, verify that: Config -> About -> "Advanced Settings" -> "Tweaks" -> "Enable Importer While in GUI" is enabled (true).

Other then that, if you still have trouble, you'll have to provide movingpictures.log file in debug mode, as it will reveal what is going wrong for you. If it turns out to be scraper issues you might have to enable scraper-debug mode, but try regular debug log files first (much smaller).

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    I'm almost sure (by now) that my scrapper is completely in tatters (for no reason that I can think of). Can I disable it so that to have my movie files to show up in a raw form (filenames only) through the mediaportal interface (i.e. when I put them to my movie folder through a network PC to show up instantaneously in MP)?

Thanks

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I'm almost sure (by now) that my scrapper is completely in tatters (for no reason that I can think of). Can I disable it so that to have my movie files to show up in a raw form (filenames only) through the mediaportal interface (i.e. when I put them to my movie folder through a network PC to show up instantaneously in MP)?

Thanks

MovingPictures is database based, so it makes no sense to ignore errors and not try to fix them. So if you instead actually provide useful log files (the ones in debug mode as explained in FAQ/Sticky-thread/signature/etc), the problem is most likely a small issue.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Attach log files as attachment next time, because they are terrible to read on forum.

Your filenames contain extremly weird characters, such as "Blood Diamond - ÌáôùìÝíï ÄéáìÜíôé", which looks to be freaking out the scraper for backdrop as it is failing on "URL: /" (can't see which one, because scraper-debug mode wasn't enabled, use FAQ to see how to enable that on 3rd item). The problem on that might be related to your noise filter or the original scraper used. Since the log file is centered around "I Am Legend", not all info is available to properly debug that one.

Speaking of your scrapers, you are using default versions, you might want to check the forum and/or Google Code website for updates, such as the IMDb v1.5.3 scraper.

And why is Z: offline? Is that an external drive you did not connect?

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Sorry for my (previous) long post, I've edited it now.

The problems are/were there even before I was to add "weird" characters, that was merely an experiment of mine.

The Z drive is offline, but I don't think that can/could influence anything. I use(d) the default scrappers, indeed.

I'll try to produce a proper log this time around. Still I would like to know whether it would be possible to have some of my movies (say ones that the scrapper do not recognize) as part of my database having only their mere filenames.

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Ι pinpointed the problem to exist in the "Greek translation" function. As long as I get back to English in "retrieve movie data" the scrapper works fine.

Another thing that I would -still- like to inquire though:

There are some movies which may not exist to any of the Internet databases; can I have the scrapper to ignore them automatically (as long as it finds no match), yet -still- add them to my database using merely their filenames?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom