Upgrade my RAM (1 Viewer)

shibam

Portal Member
January 6, 2010
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hello,

I have this motherboard Micro ATX - VIA - KM266-8235 and I want to upgrade it to 2 GB, I have already one slot 512MB type DDR-SDRAM PC-3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400], I will take it out and put new RAM. What type of ram should I use?

I looked in the Internet (VIA Chipset KM266-8235 184pin Desktop RAM Memory Upgrade) for this motherboard and I found the follwing RAM to use with this motherboard:
PC-2700 (333 MHz)
PC-2100 (266 MHz)
and what already installed is:
PC-3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]

and I do not know what is DDR-400? can I use DDR-200 instead? can some one educate me in this matter and what is the best to get better performance to use for streaming and online video.

Thanks

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Upgrade my RAM

Hi.
    The VIA - KM266-8235 is the chipset of your Mainboard. Try to find out the manufacturer and type of your Board. Phoenix is the BIOS manufacturer. NOT of your board. As next you have to check the manual of your board, which combinations and type of RAM are valid. I guess there are two RAM-Slots. So read above ...

shibam

Portal Member
    January 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Tanks every body
    You are going to find DDR400 ram, expensive compared to it's newer counter parts, try ebay or any computer markets for second hand ram, and you will want to get 2 x 1gb sticks to notice any improvement (must be a pair)

I found DDR400 one is HIGH DENSITY and another is Low Density. Which one should I take?

I guess there are two RAM-Slots
    Yes I have only two RAM-slots

Get CPU-Z and run it (It's free!)
    On the SPD tab it'll tell you what type of memory to use...
    I attached the result of CPU-Z.

Attachments

• USER-F58F8BE734.rar
      30.6 KB

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As long as its a pair would not worry too much about density, but any cost over 20 Euro's, I would consider saving the money until I could afford a new system, the benefits you will gain are just not cost effective :(

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yup if your buying old ram, you gotta buy 2nd hand, otherwise they charge you too much.
    I would try just adding 1x1gb stick, and upgrade to 1.5gb instead if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom