Upgrade System : Motherboard for AM2(+) ? (2 Viewers)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

I want to upgrade my system with this objectives

• faster boot / rewake from hibernate
    • no problems with HD TV (BluRay works fine actually, but HDTV not)

Things I don't want to miss or also quite important

• low noise / less Power consumption
    • downclock CPU if system don't need the power
    • automatic Van controll (with speedfan)

If my research for CPU ist right, the Athlon 64 X2 is a good choice.

Here in the Forum the discussion is mostly about boards with onboard graphics. But I would prefer an non onboard solution (because of the many problems with these boards).

Can anybody give some hints for research or has already (good) experience with one?

Thanks allot!

Greetings

BERND

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    I have Asus M2N68 and it works pretty well. However it didnt work with speedfan so I went the variable resistor route instead. The advantage - can also control case fans through hardware interface. Cost about $20.

As far as CPU's go, have you considered a 4850e or a 5050e? Similar price to an X2, same socket, lower power consumption and run cooler (less rpm required :: lower noise)

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thanks for the reply!

I read that the Asus M2N68 does not support USB Keyboard during startup. But this has to be, because my keyboard has a USB transmitter. Can you confirm this?

The CPU 4850e is also my favorite! I think combinig it with a Scythe Ninja mini and will try to use it passive. But because the GPU will be also an passive one, I have to do test if the two 80 Case fans are enough or maybe a slow CPU and slow case fans is the better / saver / more silent solution.

I don't know what you mean with
    ... the variable resistor route instead. The advantage - can also control case fans through hardware interface

Does this manage the fan speed automaticly? Or just manual control? Maybe a link to the product?

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    thanks for the reply!

I read that the Asus M2N68 does not support USB Keyboard during startup. But this has to be, because my keyboard has a USB transmitter. Can you confirm this?

The CPU 4850e is also my favorite! I think combinig it with a Scythe Ninja mini and will try to use it passive. But because the GPU will be also an passive one, I have to do test if the two 80 Case fans are enough or maybe a slow CPU and slow case fans is the better / saver / more silent solution.

I don't know what you mean with
    ... the variable resistor route instead. The advantage - can also control case fans through hardware interface

Does this manage the fan speed automaticly? Or just manual control? Maybe a link to the product?

As far as the keyboard goes, I have a wired USB keyboard and have never had any trouble having it work on startup. I cant say about wireless as Ive never tried it with one.

My GPU is HD4550 which is passive with 2x 80's in a LC20 case. Works fine.

Re fan resistors, you can get them from local electronics shop - its just a tiny pot (7mm) with a screw adjuster that you solder inline to increase resistance to the fan to slow it. They only cost a coupl'a dollars each. alternatively something like this, (attached) is what I currently use, which is
    probably nearer $20. Mine's installed inside the case so the little fingers in the household dont adjust the fan speed on the pc and cook it while my back's turned :)

The pots are a bit neater cabling wise. The unit below is handy if you want to manage the speed from outside the case.

You can get swankier models and probably could find something thermostatic if you looked around. Ive never looked into it being auto as I tuned the fans on a 38 degree day with the aircon off running Prime95 at 100% cpu (figured that was a pretty safe benchmark for the fan speeds) :)

Attachments

• images.jpg
      images.jpg
      1.5 KB

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    The Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 is my ABSOLUTE preferred board right now when you're going with a non onboard gpu solution (which is also my preferred method).

It was ranked as one of the most energy efficient boards you could buy not too long ago - Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2: AMD 690G, Take 2 | silentpcreview.com . I am currently using 2 (1 HTPC and 1 server) in my house hold and have built an additional 5 computers using this board not to mention recommending it to countless friends and people online with 0 reports of any issues. It is highly efficient, doesn't get too hot, and you should be able to undervolt through it's advanced bios settings (let me double check to make sure it allows you to undervolt though... first thing when I get home). It supports new and old cpu's and doesn't come with any unnecessary bells and whistles. It is priced (at least in the states) at a very attractive price tag of $50-55. I can't find anything AMD based that beats what this offers in this price range. It's the perfect AMD based motherboard for an HTPC in which the builder is installing a discrete card (which you should do anyway since you get a lot more bang for your buck).

Frantid

Portal Pro
    October 11, 2008
    Home Country
    Iceland Iceland
    I really like my gigabyte system as well -- see the my system link on left. You can get a version without the onboard gpu. I would think for AMD you'd want something that can go up to the phenom II if you later change your mind -- so an AM2+ system would be best. I don't think you need DDR3 so AM3 is probably overkill. I'd think you want at least SATA 3G/s. I like my phenom triple core chip, it does cool and quiet 2 -- really works well never above 36C. Phenoms have extra code for video improvements. I also have a 4550, does HD & BlueRay with hardware acceleration. Plus HDMI audio. Speedfan works with this motherboard as well.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    It's not the Phenom's alone that do extra video processing... it's the Phenom+Compatible chipset (aka the 780G for instance) that work together to have better post processing. Cost wise it doesn't justify it though... buying a $50 740G motherboard with a $35 (as of last night on newegg) 4050e topped off with a $55 HD 4670 (MSI branded from zipzoomfly) will give you near perfect HD and SD playback with 7.1 audio without spending a lot of money and being extremely low in terms of energy consumption.

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 is my ABSOLUTE preferred board right now when you're going with a non onboard gpu solution (which is also my preferred method).

If I see right, the board has a onboard GPU (Radeon X2100) and just 2 PCI slots. The M2N68 seems to have more equipment and is a liitle bit cheaper.

So actualy I would prefer M2N68.

----
    But even more difficult seems to becomme the GPU. I thougt a HD 4550 is ver power efficient and cheap, but here in the forum are some postings which report problems with this card. Many prefer the 4650 / 4670 , but Price is nearly double of an 4550 and the max. power consumption 45 W, instead of 25 W of the 4550.

So I will do a little more research about this...

Greetings

BERND

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I use a Gigabyte board (GA-MA78GM-S2HP) for my HTPC, with a 4850e passively cooled with a Scythe Ninja mini. My current video card (HD2400XT) will soon be replaced with a Gigabyte HD4550 when I decide to upgrade to a HDTV. If what you say about the 4550 is true though, I will look into it a bit more. Both video cards are passively cooled. Even with these components, it is probably overkill.

The GA-MA78GM- series of motherboards come with on-board GPU (780G chipset = Radeon HD3200 = IGP version of Radeon HD2400 using RV610 graphics processor core) capable of 1080p HD playback, although I only have an old SD CRT TV :oops: - so cannot comment personally on how well it performs. There are plenty of positive reviews on it though.

My main (non-HTPC) computer has a GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo with a Phenom 9750 quad (AM2+). At stock settings, this machine is rock solid. It only crashes if I do something stupid :eek:

The only cooling I need for the HTPC are from the 2 x 120mm case fans. I will be replacing them with ultra-quiet Noctua fans soon. Overall it runs cool and quiet (pun intended :D).

Der_Bub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 17, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The only cooling I need for the HTPC are from the 2 x 120mm case fans. I will be replacing them with ultra-quiet Noctua fans soon. Overall it runs cool and quiet (pun intended :D).

I use 2 80mm Noctua for case and actualy one 80 for cpu. Can confirm they're very silent! Because of this, I think of taking a 5050e CPU BOXED, because it's just about 8,- EUR more than the 4850e and has a cooler included. I would replace the vent with the Noctua one and hopefully can save the ninja mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom