Upgrade to run 1080p

Discussion in 'General' started by Diaz, March 29, 2008.

1. Diaz

Diaz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I built a budget htpc about a year ago and it runs 720p x264 files with no problem (though cpu usage is very high).

The cpu is a good old AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (boxed) and gfx-card integrated to the mainboard.

I was wondering what the easiest solution would be to upgrade it so support 1080p x264-videos.. How fast a cpu is needed or are there any gfx cards that would do the job with the current cpu?

Heat and noise are again important factors

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kszabo
    • Premium Supporter

kszabo MP Donator

Ratings:
    +87 / 1
    Home Country:
    Hungary Hungary
    Show System Specs
    you need full h264 acceleration from the GPU, your CPU will not manage it alone.

So buy a newer ATi or nVidia Graphics Card with HD support: e.g. ATi HD3450 (cheap, passively cooled, power consumption ca. 15 Watt) and use it with the newest Cyberlink PowerDVD h264 codec with Hardware acceleration. Vista will work better than XP. You don´t need bigger CPU then.

4. Zappza
    • Premium Supporter

Zappza MP Donator

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Sometimes you may require to use your CPU to decode the x264 streams, as not all rippers on the intarweb is using the required settings for it to be decoded by the h264 hw decoder, as I understood it.

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Portal Member

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just upgraded to an Intel E2160 CPU with an ATI HD3450 GFX card - probably the cheapest components I could find, and I have been able to play 1080p content just fine!

Entry-level computing really is amazing these days...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!