upgraded to mp2 but have a few queries! (1 Viewer)

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
March 27, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am old school coding so probably not then! VB6, C++ etc. I made a few vb.net programs a few years back but I mainly code on arduinos now..

coolblue

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    nähe Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you can do programming in one language, you can programm in all others too! It is only a time thing to learn the new dictionary and maybe syntax. C++ > C#

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you can do programming in one language, you can programm in all others too!
    In the past I thought so too. But if you are used to procedural programming then it's more that hard to learn an object oriented language as the logics behind are completely opposite. I've learned coding on the Commodore C64 and later on Amiga. There are only procedural languages like Basic, Amos or similar. Later as I changed to Windows I never was able to learn C# or C++ or even Java. That's why I write all my tools in AutoIt at it is the only procedural programming language I could find for Windows. The first working Autoit program I had written from scratch was done in 36 hours incl learning all the new syntax. But .NET I'm not even able to set up the IDE in some weeks, not to mention writing or modifying a program...

I think if I never learned the "old fashioned" programming I could learn "modern" languages much better than now...

coolblue

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    nähe Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey I'm also a procedual guy.. and I still think in this structure. But I have also learned OO.
    I can understand you... 10 years later I cannot programm at all because I changed my job ;-)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Even without perfect skills everybody contributing is welcome. I joined the team with university coding skills (bit of #C, VB, Java), but nothing in a degree to really write own code. I've learned to manage xaml more or the less meanwhile. It's just a matter of time and sustainable motivation.

tnarraf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    jonathantwynham
    Sounds like I have done just about the same as you - finally tried MP2 again and up and running fairly well.
    I am trying out TinyMedia Manager as the default behaviour of the importing was way off the right programme details. With TMM and the .nfo files it is importing great

I use an Emprex WiFi remote and had no success initially getting remote control but found with Intelliremote (had to buy it after trialling it) I could map just about any button to a keyboard action or event. Just seems as someone commented in the thread that not all options have a keyboard mapping so some actions require a mouse of moving the cursor around to the right button

Only issue I have with the 'Info' button (which is mapped to right click) is making the 'selection' on the right tile to get the info or option to delete the recording. Do you have an issue like this ?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    jonathantwynham
    Sounds like I have done just about the same as you - finally tried MP2 again and up and running fairly well.
    I am trying out TinyMedia Manager as the default behaviour of the importing was way off the right programme details. With TMM and the .nfo files it is importing great

I use an Emprex WiFi remote and had no success initially getting remote control but found with Intelliremote (had to buy it after trialling it) I could map just about any button to a keyboard action or event. Just seems as someone commented in the thread that not all options have a keyboard mapping so some actions require a mouse of moving the cursor around to the right button

Only issue I have with the 'Info' button (which is mapped to right click) is making the 'selection' on the right tile to get the info or option to delete the recording. Do you have an issue like this ?
    Very soon MP2.2, a new majour release will come out. It also includes an overworked input manager for easier and better mapping.
    I didn't fully get your issue (I can right click w/o problems everywhere to get infos), but it might help you to map other keys/buttons.

tnarraf

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 23, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    ge2301

Mapping the 'info' key on the remote control (not using a mouse)
    With the mouse you right click and effectively select the active object and get the context menu
    In a lot of places there is only one active object and it works as you expect ...

but say in the list of TV programs you can move across the items with right and left keys on the remote but when you 'right click' with the remote for options it may consider the 'selected' item is not the one the cursor is on so right clicks on the wrong program to pop up the context menu to delete.
    You can't select with OK as that causes it to play the programme
    (Hope that makes more sense - its hard to describe)

I have mapped all the keys I can find listed in the MP2 keyboard commands in the wiki page
    Keyboard shortcuts - MediaPortal 2 - MediaPortal Wiki but it does seem some are not yet available (eg one direct to the 'close' menu, settings menu...)
    Really looking forward to 2.2 as reading across the forums it seems a number of the little gripes with MP2.1.3 are fixed (or being fixed with it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom