uPNP Server (1 Viewer)

jaiume

Portal Member
June 9, 2006
A built-in uPNP server would be great. This would be especially nice for non-MediaPortal clients. Also having useful meta-data to sort/browse/find recordings etc.

It would also be great if that uPNP server could serve up music files too. My TVServer (still in the works) could then also be my mediaserver.

jaiume

Portal Member
June 9, 2006
The forum is called Feature Request, not Feature Demand dude. Just making a suggestion....that can be taken as quickly or as slowly (or not at all) as the devs like. :)

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
chill out... notice the tongue at the end of the sentence !!

7 posts in and your already snapping back at replies !

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There are some uPnP option available outside of MP.
    There is the crappy M$ Windows media Connect 2.0
    And there is a very good free program called TVersity (www.tversity.com).

I use TVersity to stream all my video, music and pictures to a D-Link DSM-320.
    I'm currently investigating how to use the real time Time Shift buffer from MP TV-Server to stream to the DSM-320.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    The idea of UPnP is very appealing but I must be doing something wrong. When I use the WiFi feature of my mobile at home, running at full signal quality, boriwsing is great but playing and item is frighteningly slow. Assuming and hoping that I am doing it wrong... I'm all for MP having a full blown server (esp. if I can protect assets via MAC addresses).

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Count me in. It would be great to be able to use some other clients (especially XBMC) with the new tv engine.

julio

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First:
    Other clients (like) XBMC could already use the tvserver if they
    add support for playing back RTSP streams.

Second:
    upnp might be added in the future who knows, but there are no plans for it at this moment.

Frodo

jaiume

Portal Member
    June 9, 2006
    Just had a more interesting idea with uPNP, and I may be a bit green wrt RTSP, anyway...

From what I understand, RTSP will allow a client to (play a) stream from a server, and even control how that stream is played (Pause, rewind, fast-forward etc). However choosing the stream is not within the scope of its capabilities.

Imagine if the TVServer had a 'virtual' uPNP directory structure, so instead of just serving up different meta-data on files that it had stored, it instead served up meta-data about the TV channels it had available to stream!

Imagine being able to choose a channel just by browsing what looks like (to the uPNP device) a standard uPNP hierachy, or even being able to browse channels by genre, based on what the EPG says is currently on!

That would open the TVServer up to every video capable uPNP device out there.

Jaiume

Kolle

December 14, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Not sure I follow you in all the details there jaiume, BUT the main point which I agree with 100% is the "open the TVServer up to every video capable UPnP device out there".

Although it is being discussed in a few threads already there seems to be a fair amount of misunderstanding re UPnP from perhaps more Hard Core HTPC people. I have seen several comments in the direction of "what do you need that for (UPnP AV), just connect the PC to the TV and off you go".
    The key here is to be able to have multiple TV Viewing points in the home without the need for PC's at each position. There is nothing wrong with HTPC's, they can look extremely nice and be totally quiet and offer complete flexibility with the ability to cater for other uses than TV/Video viewing of course, gaiming with the TV as the screen for example.

But PC's require maintenance, and just the chassi of a quiet unit costs as much as a the cheaper complete UPnP AV devices around. Even the most expensive units with HD capability and HDMI connection are cheaper than a HTPC.
    Furthermore, I beleive a lot of people are already or will be using these UPnP devices for Video, Photo and Music Streaming, what's lacking is Live TV Viewing and MP Could be the ulitmate Server for this. As would Joost if they started supporting UPnP AV as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom