Upscaling using BASS? (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: MP 1.1 RC1 (with various core/dshowhelper DLLs)
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 Wide
    Windows Version: W7x64 (fully patched)
    CPU Type: AMD Phenom II X3 705e
    HDD: Samsung 1TB
    Memory: 4GB 1333MHz
    Motherboard: M4A785TD-M EVO
    Video Card: Integrated ATI HD4200
    Video Card Driver: 9.8 (testing 10.1)
    Sound Card: Integrated
    Sound Card AC3: Integrated
    Sound Card Driver: W7's
    1. TV Card: Hauppuage Nova S/S2
    1. TV Card Type: DVBS/S2
    1. TV Card Driver: W7's
    2. TV Card: Hauppuage Nova S/S2
    2. TV Card Type: DVBS/S2
    2. TV Card Driver: W7's
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF (Unlocked)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF (Unlocked)
    h.264 Video Codec: SAF (Unlocked)
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 28.2E
    HTPC Case: Antec
    Cooling: Scythe Ninja Mini (passive), Nocturna case
    Power Supply: Antec
    Remote: Harmony 525
    TV: Samsung LE37B650
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI to TV, Optical to Sony AV

Hi all :)

Its probably me being dumb (as per usual). :(

But under the Music config screen there is an option to upscale to 5.1/7.1. Is this meant to work with BASS? As for me it is not. :confused:

But if I change BASS to the dshow option, then upscaling for me works fine (I am running SAF, with ffdaudio configured to upscale stereo to 5.1)

Thanks,

J.

mikeyko

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Hi all :)

Its probably me being dumb (as per usual). :(

But under the Music config screen there is an option to upscale to 5.1/7.1. Is this meant to work with BASS? As for me it is not. :confused:

But if I change BASS to the dshow option, then upscaling for me works fine (I am running SAF, with ffdaudio configured to upscale stereo to 5.1)

Thanks,

J.

Optical connection only supports 2 channels, so you cannot upmix it to 5.1/7.1. You need HDMI with 5.1/7.1 PCM support directly to receiver. Ffdshow can encode 5.1 to Dolby Digital, this is why it works for you

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Optical only supports 2 channels?

What do you mean about that?

I thought I was running 5.1 over spdif?

Thanks,

J.

mikeyko

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Hi there,

Optical only supports 2 channels?

What do you mean about that?

I thought I was running 5.1 over spdif?

Thanks,

J.

SPDIF supports: 2 channels PCM up to 96khz/24bit, AC3 5.1 and DTS 5.1. As far as I know, BASS cannot encode to AC3 or DTS, this is why you have 2 channels only

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Sorry about the delay....

So the upmix 5.1/7.1 option in the music screen tab is purely for HDMI or analogue output (and not spdif)?

Thanks,

J.

ps - Would the use of ASIO/PureAudio plugin allow the upmix/upscaling over spdif?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Sorry about the delay....

So the upmix 5.1/7.1 option in the music screen tab is purely for HDMI or analogue output (and not spdif)?

Thanks,

J.

ps - Would the use of ASIO/PureAudio plugin allow the upmix/upscaling over spdif?
    SPDIF is only capable of carring two channels of decoded audio. They figured they could also squeeze a DD/DTS bitstream into the same bandwidth but the connection is not capable of carrying more than two channels of decoded audio.

It would be possible to convert your stereo music on the fly to DD or DTS and output this over SPDIF but you loose lots of quality in doing this. You can achieve the same result using the Pro-Logic setting on your amp without loosing so much quality

Would the use of ASIO/PureAudio plugin allow the upmix/upscaling over spdif?
    No as above SPDIF is the limitation here not the player.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi again,

I was hoping BASS or PureAudio supported re-encoding (like ffdshow audio).

I upscale my stereo TV/Movies using ffdshow and pump that over spdif to my decoder - works fine.

I don't want to force my decoder to Dolby PLII, as I also send DTS, etc and need it set to "auto decode"

I'll stick with using the MePo dshow player going to the default directsound device (with ffdshow upscaling) - The "drop" in quality is not noticable to my deaf ears! :D

J.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I upscale my stereo TV/Movies using ffdshow and pump that over spdif to my decoder - works fine.
    When you say upscale you actually mean downscale... You may be increasing the number of channels your amp thinks it is receiving but you are reducting quality.

I don't want to force my decoder to Dolby PLII, as I also send DTS, etc and need it set to "auto decode"
    Does your amp not flick over according to what signal is received? If I leave my PC as stereo output then all signals for music, TV, video with mp3 etc are sent as stereo and if I set the amp to output stereo input as pro-logic then all these are output as Pro-Logic. If the amp gets a DD/DTS signal then it flicks over and outputs as DD/DTS accordingly.

The last three amps I have owned have all done this.

My issue was actually the opposite to you. I wanted TV and stereo videos to come out as Pro-Logic but music to come out as stereo. I have this sorted by encoding the TV and video output to DD 2.0 which my amp treats differently to stereo and hence I get stereo for music and pro-logic for tv/films

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    I know what you are saying.... any decoding/reencoding will affect quality.

The surround system I have, is not what I'd call an amp - its an old sony AV system that I inheritted.

It only supports switching when in "auto decode", and when in this mode the default is not PLII - hence it 2 channel input is 2 channel output. If I force it to PLII (which then decodes 2 channel to 5.1), then it does not correctly handle DTS/etc (as its forced to PLII).

Chances are I'll get a new amp one day :)

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom