USB 3.0 HDD for Timeshifting (1 Viewer)

zanlation

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Home Country
I am currently using an internal SATA2 HDD for live-tv timeshifting. This drive is also the primary OS drive with a small partition specifically for timeshifting. I am a little worried about wearing out this drive too early, especially since it has the main OS (win7) installed on it. I am imaging the drive fortnightly to a RAID 0 system attached to the HTPC via USB 3.0.

I have tried using a A-RAM USB 3.0 flash drive, formatted to NTFS, but I get stutter and freezing after about 15-30 mins depending on the timeshift buffer size I use. Another option may be to use an external USB 3.0 2.5" SATA drive. My motherboard does have eSATA, but it has a history of being unreliable. I am looking to use an external drive to reduce the heat being produced in HTPC case. A 2.5" drive would also not require external power, so it would sleep in sync with the PC.

Has anyone used an external 2.5" drive specifically for timeshifting?

quake2rambo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: USB 3.0 HDD for Timeshifting

Hi.
    I would give am RAMDisk a chance. You have a x64 system. With a little more RAM you can use it for a RAMDisk.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There are a few that use cheap usb sticks with USB 2 for timeshifting. If they are gone, buy a new one.

Speed of usb 2 is enough for timeshifting (probably as long as you are not trying to serve up several hd streams at the same time).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Some USB sticks are stalling write / read operations on random times. This will lead into stuttering tv playback.

zanlation

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Home Country
    I did try RAMDisk last year, but i experienced freezing in live-tv and the occassional blue screen. I have changed my RAM since then so, I will give a 1GB RAMDisk ago over the next few days. If that works out I'll buy some more RAM. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks for the replies.

I have tried a couple of USB 2.0 sticks, but they stuttered immediately.

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    use that old thread for my thoughts - maybe someone tested this newer time:

have a Cine S2 Digital device with 4 DVB-S2 tuners....
    at the moment i have good performance (no stuttering)
    with timeshift on 2 dedicated 2.5" HDD's
    - one for tuner 1 & 3
    - one for tuner 2 & 4

but i think about blowing upp HDD-Space in the tv-server to shut down my file-server
    (two systems allways have more power-consumption than one)
    have 8 Sata ports but only 6 frames in the case for the physical HDD'S

so i think about using 4 x 16 GB USB sticks (2.0 or 3.0) for dedicated timeshift
    every tuner - one dedicated USB-Stick ...
    would have to look for sticks with real good r/w performance i know ;)

had anybody tested again - maybe with USB3.0?

regards

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would spend the money for one SSD ( 60 - 80GB ). This will have more power and also its not much cheaper as 4x16GB USB sticks

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    thx for the answer ... but i am runing low on native SATA-Space if
    i go to combine my TV-Server and my File-Server ...

the case/enclouser it self only can storage 4 x 3.5" and 2 x 2.5" ....
    allthough i have 8 ports on the Mo-Board...

all 6 would be needed for OS and File-space ...
    i am sure that the SSD would do that job more than quiete well ;)
    but that was not my plan -
    sure can change my HDD - all 2TB out and 4 TB's in ... but that would coast much more than any other plan ;)

EDIT:

by the way . i have 2 more SSD'S laying here - a 40 GIG Intel (mSATA with konverter)
    and a 60 Gig OCZ "Normal SATA SSD"....

EDIT II:

@ jelmo

cooles DM Avatar :D ...

Last edited:

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    so i think about using 4 x 16 GB USB sticks (2.0 or 3.0) for dedicated timeshift
    every tuner - one dedicated USB-Stick ...
    would have to look for sticks with real good r/w performance i know ;)

had anybody tested again - maybe with USB3.0?
    Hi polarie.

For years I use for timeshift Compact Flash card with IDE interface. Speed ​​and throughput is lower than USB 3.0. Maximum test load (4x Live TV clients simultaneously) without any problem.

Now I have tested new TV server (2x double DVB-T USB stick) mSATA 60GB SSD disk for system, 2,5" SATA III SSD disk for recording and one USB 3.0 32 GB stick memory for timeshift. I have tested situation 4x Live TV Clients + 4x record without any problem. I have tested another combination - mSATA SSD for system and 2,5 SATA III SSD disk for both remaining (timeshift + recording simultaneously) with good result too. But this solution is on the edge of application. Now I want to make test at all-in-one configuration system+timeshift+recording with one 2,5" SATA III SSD disk.

Last described test I'll do just out of curiosity. The final solution will be probably the second described configuration (mSATA SSD + 2.5 "SATA III SSD), first configuration, with USB 3.0 32GB stick memory for timeshift, I still have in reserve. Change of configuration will be very simply - just insert the USB stick and one change in TV Server configuration.

My favorite configuration:
    - MoBo - mini-ITX Zotac with WiFi (instead of wifi will be placed card with mSATA SSD drive)
    - mSATA SSD 60GB (OCZ Nocti 60GB) system disk
    - 2,5" SATA III SSD 256GB (OCZ Vertex 4 Series) timeshift+recording disk
    - M350 Case
    - 2x double DVB-T USB stick
    - Windows 7, headless operation (GUI via RDP)
    - last version of MP 1

JiRo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom