"USB TV Tuner" ... how to configure? (1 Viewer)

Contours

Portal Member
August 13, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well, for lack of anything else to try, I hooked up my Pinnacle 800e to an HD antenna ... and was able to scan ATSC channels. It reported a total of 14 found.

However, the found channels don't show up anywhere when I start MP. (BTW, I can understand that analog is throwback technology, but why is ATSC so complicated for basic configurations?)

Under TV Server, the channels show up for Pinnacle's ATSC entry, but each with a "not mapped to a card" indication. Yet under TV Channels >> TV Mapping, the same channels show up on the right side under "Channels Mapped to Card".

Very confusing for a newcomer.

Regarding analog channels, the setup utility does show a separate entry for Analog Pinnacle. But when I click Scan, it responses with "please install an A/V encoder ...", so it's no different that my very first attempt with EasyCap-USB (when it was recognized as "OEM TV Tuner").

With the Pinnacle, I feel I'm close to getting something useful working. Watching HD channels over the air will at least be a foothold. I won't give up on the analog, but I can work on it as time permits.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Well, for lack of anything else to try, I hooked up my Pinnacle 800e to an HD antenna ... and was able to scan ATSC channels. It reported a total of 14 found.
    Sounds promising. :)

, the found channels don't show up anywhere when I start MP.
    Hmmm, that's odd.
    You would have to restart MP after the scan completes in order for the new channels to show up.
    Also, you would have to ensure that the channels are included in the channel group that you're looking at in MP. You'd do this in the TV Channels section of TV Server configuration. Look at the tabs. Select the tab corresponding with the channel group in MP (for example "All Channels"). Ensure that the channels that you want to see are listed as included in the group. If they're not, you can use the functions on the first tab to add (or remove) channels as required.

Does that make sense?

(BTW, I can understand that analog is throwback technology, but why is ATSC so complicated for basic configurations?)
    ATSC complicated? :confused:
    The minimal requirement is simply to scan for channels. When you scan, you only have to set tuning mode to "ATSC digital terrestrial" as indicated in the wiki and click "scan for channels":
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC

When the scan completes, the channels should automatically be mapped to the tuner you scanned with and added to the "all channels" group. Therefore they should automatically show in MP.

Really, there's not much that can go wrong, so your report is a bit perplexing.

Under TV Server, the channels show up for Pinnacle's ATSC entry, but each with a "not mapped to a card" indication. Yet under TV Channels >> TV Mapping, the same channels show up on the right side under "Channels Mapped to Card".
    That's paradoxical! :confused:
    I can understand why you're confused.
    Can you please post some screenshots for me so I can take a look... just in case I'm missing something obvious.

Regarding analog channels, the setup utility does show a separate entry for Analog Pinnacle. But when I click Scan, it responses with "please install an A/V encoder ...", so it's no different that my very first attempt with EasyCap-USB (when it was recognized as "OEM TV Tuner").
    Well, that's because the same requirements apply.
    The encoder is needed to convert the analog video to digital, enabling it to be recorded and timeshifted by TV Server. The analog tuners that MediaPortal aims to support come with encoder chips (ie. physical hardware - electronics). This makes them "plug and play" - really easy to use. Unfortunately they tend to be more expensive. There are other analog tuners (like both of yours) that supply the encoder with the software bundle. They tend to be cheaper, but less reliable, use more CPU, harder to setup etc. MediaPortal works with some of these tuners, but they can be harder to setup.

The simplest solution I can suggest for your tuners is to install the package from here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...oder-based-tv-cards.90355/page-8#post-1052944

Contours

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    Just curious: are the programmers who write the configuration utility different from those who write MediaPortal?

I ask because they seem to be operating in different universes.

Here I sit with 14 channels defined as ATSC terrestial ... with no way for MP to detect them ... and no way for me to tell MP that they exist.

At least that's how it appears to me. It's very frustrating. Are things really this uncoordinated? Why doesn't MP survey available resources and present them as choices? Inside MP I see a few channels listed ... but with "no data" ... and if I select one, I get "no free card available". I have no idea what these things mean ... and there doesn't seem to be built-in help.

At this point, I'm lost/disoriented.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just curious: are the programmers who write the configuration utility different from those who write MediaPortal?
    No.

Here I sit with 14 channels defined as ATSC terrestial ... with no way for MP to detect them ... and no way for me to tell MP that they exist.
    Please post the screenshots [that I previously requested] so that I can help you (!!!).

It's very frustrating.
    Naturally... but I can't help you unless and until you supply the information I ask for.

Are things really this uncoordinated?
    No.

Why doesn't MP survey available resources and present them as choices?
    It does. I think you're just confused.

Inside MP I see a few channels listed
    They're the channels you scanned in, just as I explained previously.

but with "no data"
    That's as expected if you haven't configured a guide data source.
    Did you expect something different, and if so why?

and if I select one, I get "no free card available". I have no idea what these things mean ... and there doesn't seem to be built-in help.
    Have you found the wiki? That is our "help".
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/1_Quick_Setup

At this point, I'm lost/disoriented.
    Obviously.
    What would help you to get un-lost and oriented?

Contours

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    Honestly, I don't think you realize how intimidating the wiki documents are.

How about we start with "you haven't configured a guide data source". Where/how?

Server Config.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Honestly, I don't think you realize how intimidating the wiki documents are.
    If you're intimidated by instructions that are intended to help you then... well, it makes it basically impossible to help except by explaining everything piece by piece specifically for you. I'm sorry but I don't have the the time or patience to do that.

How about focussing on just the setup guide section?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Quick_Setup

How about we start with "you haven't configured a guide data source". Where/how?
    Again, these are exactly the sorts of questions that the wiki is intended to answer, so that we don't have to provide individual answers for the tens or hundreds of thousands of people that have used or tried MediaPortal over the years.

Here is the relevant section:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

With regards to your screenshot...
    Everything looks pretty normal there.
    The channels that are marked as "channel not mapped to a card" won't work if you try to tune them from MediaPortal, because they're not mapped to a card. "Not mapped to a card" means that TV Server is not aware of any tuners that can be used to tune them. You can make those channels tunable by using the mapping section of configuration, as described in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/2_Mapping

1. Select your PCTV/Pinnacle ATSC tuner up the top.
    2. Select all channels in the left hand box (select the first channel, hold down the shift key, then press the end key).
    3. Click the >> button.
    Now TV Server knows it can use your Pinnacle tuner to tune all your ATSC channels. All channels should be viewable in MediaPortal... assuming you have configured MediaPortal appropriately (as described in the setup guides in the wiki).

Contours

Portal Member
    August 13, 2015
    Home Country
    (as described in the setup guides in the wiki)

Right. I don't blame you for tiring of this exercise.

Generally, programmers feel that if everything is documented, then everyone can find it in that documentation.

I'll guess that there are 50 settings/elements that have to line up for this all to work. I was hoping someone could spot which ones are out of alignment. I can't.

Let's give this a recess. I'll see what else I can ferret out in a few days.

No Joy.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom