USB UIRT as blaster (1 Viewer)

hop

July 27, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello. I'm trying to use a USB uirt as a blaster to control my set top box for recording TV.

In config under Remote - USB UIRT I've learnt the buttons on the remote. "Test set top box control" works perfectly. I've also selected "Let Mediaportal control your set top box". However, when I record a tv programme the set top box doesn't change channels. I've looked at the USB uirt and it doesn't even flash as it does when sending commands. The recording function works properly, but of course it just records whatever channel the set top box was left on.

Is there an extra step I'm missing?

Thanks for any help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Indeed. I'm not aware of how the USB-UIRT configuration in MP configuration could be configured to blast to your STB on channel change - the MP architecture just doesn't work that way. All the action happens on the TV Server side. I suggest you look at IRSS and the TVE3 blaster plugin as mentioned in the other thread...

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks kiwijunglist. I think that blasting support through Media portal for the USB-UIRT no longer works. There isn't a blaster that will be specific for media portal. IRSS can be installed and this has a TV server blaster called TVE3 Blaster Plugin but I think this only works with IRSS.

The confusing thing about setting up the IRSS is that with in media portal client under remote you can set the client to send commands to the USB-UIRT blaster, but when you run media portal, the client for some reason won't send commands, I guess you need a TV server plug in to do this.

Not sure if you could install TVE3 Blaster Plugin without IRSS and have the MP client communicate to the TVE3 Blaster Plugin to then blast the number you needed to your STB.
    -S

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    it's got nothing to do with the MP client, The tvserver handles the channels and the blasting, the mp client shouldn't care and doesn't need to know whether a channel is on a tuner or on a set top box.

I think it would be great if there was a tvserver plugin that let you run a command line program for blasting, that way tvserver could be compatible with all blasters and you wouldn't need IRSS.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think that blasting support through Media portal for the USB-UIRT no longer works. There isn't a blaster that will be specific for media portal.

It is possibly a left-over from the days when there was TV support built into MP (before there was a separate TV Server).

IRSS can be installed and this has a TV server blaster called TVE3 Blaster Plugin but I think this only works with IRSS.

Yes, the plugin is designed to talk to IRSS.

The confusing thing about setting up the IRSS is that with in media portal client under remote you can set the client to send commands to the USB-UIRT blaster, but when you run media portal, the client for some reason won't send commands, I guess you need a TV server plug in to do this.
    TV/radio is "only" a plugin within MP. MP by itself does not support TV.

Not sure if you could install
    TVE3 Blaster Plugin without IRSS and have the MP client communicate to the TVE3 Blaster Plugin to then blast the number you needed to your STB.

Not possible. You need IRSS to be installed to get the TVE3 blaster plugin, and the plugin won't work without IRSS. This is because IRSS does the real work communicating with the STB.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/3_IRSS_(IR_Server_Suite)/Set_Top_Box_Blasting

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    TV/radio is "only" a plugin within MP. MP by itself does not support TV.

That is really interesting! I didn't realize this but now it makes sense that you have a seperate TV server so it would need to talk to the client and send the TV to it. Thanks for the help
    -S[DOUBLEPOST=1344824336][/DOUBLEPOST]Forgot to mention that the confusion comes into play when you configure the USB-UIRT in the client, there is a check box that says something like use USB-UIRT to Blast. If you go in and teach it the blasting IR codes, from the MP client configuration window you can blast IR codes by clicking on the test button. This works and my STB changes channel. So in a weird way I would say that the MP client CAN blast IR codes, otherwise I wouldn't be able to click the test button and have my STB channel change. Again this is all within the MP Client configuration under Remotes and is no way usable when you are within media portal. It is just there to confuse the heck out of amateurs like me with too little sense and not enough time to put thought into it. Forgot again to mention that once you figure this out you realize that you need another program (IRSS) and that you must UNCHECK both boxes to use USB-UIRT to control media portal and to blast media portal from with in media portal client configuration. So that little USB-UIRT in the MP client configuration under remotes should be avoided like the plague at this stage as most will be using IRSS or other IR software that will interact with MP throught plug-ins likely at both the MP client and MP TV Server level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom