Use Hauppauge IR reciever without tuner (1 Viewer)

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I bought a new Hauppauge HVR-1600 today so that I could do high def. The tuner came with a remote/IR receiver/IR blaster that uses a stereo mini-like jack to plug into the tuner. I don't need it on the system that the HVR-1600 went into, though. What I would like to do is use this remote and receiver in another system that will only have a PVR-150 in it which does not have the stereo mini jack. I was wondering if there was another way to connect the IR reciever, perhaps by cutting the end off and soldering a USB or Serial jack on? In that case, I assume the biggest problem I would run into is finding drivers that would recognize it and know how to receive the commands.

Has anyone ever tried this or know of any way I can use the receiver/remote?

clobber

Portal Pro
January 12, 2008
Jb,

I'm using a PVR-150 which does have a mini stereo (or similar) jack for the remote/IR blaster. Presumably it is the same one you need?

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
I didn't get anything other than the card itself and the drivers. I seem to remember that when I ordered it from Newegg it was listed as coming with an IR Blaster/remote, but when I got it neither were in the box. I wonder if the USB receiver is the same as the one I've got only with a different plug.

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
For future reference, it's possible to cut the end off of that receiver then solder a serial plug onto it and use it like that.

Deco

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
Ireland
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
For future reference, it's possible to cut the end off of that receiver then solder a serial plug onto it and use it like that.
Hi,

My HVR-1300 came with same thingy - where did you get wiring instructions and driver for serial mod?

Thanks in advance, Deco.

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
I initially got the idea of trying it from here:

LIRC - Serial Port Receivers

I didn't actually end up using the Hauppauge one, but I used one that came with an old k-world tuner. The reciever itself looked exactly the same. I just cut the end off and kept trying the three wires on pins 2,3,5 (rx,tx,gnd) until I had a working reciever. WinLIRC recieves the commands from it no problem so I'm assuming that it uses a standard IC. It was really just a lot of trial and error.

Deco

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
Ireland
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Cheers for the link - presume you used the little circuit as shown too?

Thanks, Deco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom