Use MCE remote to act as a mouse through IRSS? (1 Viewer)

Khurram

Portal Pro
May 12, 2008
Home Country
Pakistan Pakistan
Is it possible to make my mce remote act as a mouse (that is controlling the cursor, clicking on icons, windows etc) using the IRSS?

Thanks.

moab

Portal Pro
April 22, 2008
California
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Are you talking about the OS desktop environment?

Enable pointer control using keyboard
First turn on the ability to control pointer using the keyboard
Use a shortcut to turn MouseKeys on or off by pressing left ALT+SHIFT+NUM LOCK .
(Click here for more details)

The MCE remote mimics the number pad or at least that is what I read. So it should work.

At the top, you have 2 power buttons. One for your PC (actually it puts it into Standby), and one for your TV. Appearently, this is a universal remote. However, I never found out how to program it interact with my TV though. If I ever find out, I will update this Epinions with that info.

Just below that, you have your transport buttons. Play, Stop, Pause, Skip, Rew, FF, etc - they are all there. The Record button is recessed so it is harder to accidentally push it.

Below the transport buttons, you get navigation buttons. They are pretty much the same as the directional arrow keys on your keyboard - it allows you to move the on-screen cursor around. The OK button is like the Enter key, while the Back button is like the Backspace key. The "i" button is the "info" button, and is akin to right-clicking your mouse. It brings up a small menu on the bottom right-hand corner and allows you to perform jobs that relates to whatever you are currently on (think context-sensitive box).

And below those lovely buttons are the Volume and Channel up/down buttons as well as a large mute button. I find this very easy to find, so you can raise or lower the volume, or completely mute the sound without much fumbling in the dark. In the center of all this is the Green Button that starts Windows Media Center 2005. If it is already started, the Green Button brings you back to the main start page.

CAVEAT: This might effect the pointer functionality in MP.

Khurram

Portal Pro
May 12, 2008
Home Country
Pakistan Pakistan
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would like to control the OS desktop using my MCE remote. Actually, I have a Harmony 880 which can mimic an MCE remote.

The MouseKeys functionality isnt what I am looking for. The MCE remote does provide some functionality (vertical scrolling, volumen up/down), but it does not let me control the mouse cursor. I was wondering if I can use IRSS somehow to control the mouse cursor and interact with the OS itself (the desktop, various windows that might be opened, the start bar).

Khurram

Portal Pro
May 12, 2008
Home Country
Pakistan Pakistan
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could find some info on how to do this :confused: Btw, IRSS seems to support the wiimote (its an option in IRSS configuration).

Edit:

Some progress at last. I have been testing my harmony (in mce mode) with the arrow keys in translator's configuration window. However, translator would not acknowledge a keypress on the remote for anyone of the up, down, left and right keys. I accidently pressed the menu key on the remote, and lo and behold, translator acknowledged the keypress and up popped the mapping window! It seems that the translator will not acknowledge the direction keys, but will acknowledge the media keys (start, stop, rewind etc) and some other keys. Is there some way to tell translator to work with direction keys? Or is this a bug in translator?

darrenl

July 8, 2007
Home Country
I was having this problem too but just figured out the problem.

Go into the IR Server Configuration and go into the configuration for your particular remote controll, which for me was the Microsoft MCE. The in the remote tab select the "Disable Automatic Buttons", which instructs you to reboot the computer. After this the buttons are recognised.

When using an earlier version of IRSS I didn't have to do this, so must be some new feature

Users who are viewing this thread