Use MP as Windows Shell - The Easy Way: InstantSheller (1 Viewer)

Noelix

Portal Pro
February 18, 2006
Salt Lake City, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I searched far and wide combing the forums of MediaPortal and MAME setups to find out all the details of how to set up MediaPortal as the shell for windows, and to hide everything Windows-related for the streamlined, speedy experience. One of my last steps was to hide the mouse cursor at logon, and after being confused by the guides here and elsewhere, I came across this in a post on arcadecontrols.com:

Instant Sheller allows you to do many of the things needed to streamline the viewer experience during Windows startup without all the hassle of editing the registry, creating custom cursors, etc.

* Launch any application as a shell instead of Windows Explorer.
* Change the Boot Screen to an image of your choice (use a 640x480 bitmap with 16 colors).
* Replace Cursor with Dots
* Turn Off Windows Event Sounds
* Hide Startup, Login, Shutdown Screens, and Set Auto Login.
* Set Background and Wallpaper to Black

I already added this to the Wiki but after using it with ease I felt the need to share. Enjoy!

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    There was a wiki on how to modify various windows settings to make windows more transparent to maximize your htpc feeling but cannot find them right now - seems like it doesn't exist or it's moved out of the general wiki pages.

I've done this before, my system starts wiith a modified bootskin - available in the plugins + extensions -> HTPC customization - and on top of it, I've changed the xp shell with MP with just a registry tweak but cannot find it right now since it's a long time ago.

Just found another source on how to do this: How To Change The Windows Xp Shell.

Willith

Portal Member
    July 3, 2007
    I will give this a shot when i get home (funny how we all browse at work eh?)

Had a new machine arrive yesterday with XP Preinstalled. Used Parition magic (avaliable on utilmate boot disc or Hirens boto disc) to resize and create a new partition for Tinyxp. Made it 10gb and assigned it as D:\ . TinyXp is a heavily stripped down version of XP and comes with different settings you can apply to turn off useless services.
    Now when i boot the machine i have the choice of running either of the two XP installs. Went into boot.ini and renamed the tinyxp one to Mediaportal and changed the wait time from 30 to 5 seconds,
    Currently have something like 18 or so processes running. Made the desktop blank and removed most of the junk in the start menu. Made the task bar auto hide and media portal autorun. Also added a custom bootskin as a final touch.

But this looks great. I will have to try it out later.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Depending if you have to be able to switch, you could remove the delay in boot.ini (can be done in windows in case you don't know and easily put back).
    I also have modified my bootskin with a mp bootskin and of course the machine logs on automatically (it's a dedicated HTPC).
    On my desktop, I have put a screenshot of the MP home screen so it looks as if MP is immediately started.
    Now with the new version, I have to update that image once I have chosen the final skin.
    I also had the splashscreen from MP removed but apparently, this doesn't work anymore for v1.0 until now.

Some motherboards allow you to use a image as post screen, that way your HTPC expirience is at it's maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom