Use SQL Compact instead of SQL Express (1 Viewer)

Mottebelke

January 21, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I haven't used the latest version of MediaPortal yet (with the new TV engine), so I don't know exactly where you use the SQL Express database for. I guess it is for storing channel info, etc. If it is not an overly complex database, I would like to point you guys to the new SQL Server Compact edition.

SQL Compact is a new and free database system introduced by Microsoft. It is aimed at desktop applications which need to use a lightweight and single-user database for the storage of their data. More info can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/compact/default.mspx

What would be the advantages for MediaPortal by using the Compact db instead of the Express one:
  • It is lightweight which means less system memory is being used
  • It can be embedded in the MediaPortal installer, which means less installation hassle for the end-user
  • It won't take too much work to change the existing db code over to the new Compact db, as most ADO.NET functions are fully supported

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that this available and to me it seems like a very interesting option for MediaPortal.

Mottebelke

January 21, 2007
Home Country
Could someone with more knowledge about the MediaPortal code/db maybe respond and tell if this is a feasible option?

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I just went to that website and took a look.. The only thing right now that I can see, is this: Reasons not to use: When you want to run as a service. The whole point of the new TV engine is to run as a service. SQL expression also runs as a service... I guess if you could start it up every time you boot up your computer, it would work. I would also be interested in what the developers have to say about this.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    It is aimed at desktop applications which need to use a lightweight and single-user database for the storage of their data.
    Single user will probably be a problem. With the client/server model of TVEngine3, MediaPortal is no longer single user. You could have a half dozen front end systems accessing the database and the TVserver at the same time.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It could still be usefull to conserve a straight line in development. MS SQL for the TVserver, and MS SQL for all other database related needs in the client application. So there will be no need to seperately install MS SQL Express with MP when using the internal TVengine.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I stand corrected then

I assumed that if you had multiple clients accessing the DB directly over the network then that would count as being multiple users as far as the database is conerned. I guess you could get round that by feeding the DB requests through the TVServer though.

Mottebelke

January 21, 2007
    Home Country
    So if I understand this all correctly:

The TVServer is used in single-seat and multi-client configurations, but there will always be just one TVServer running.
    And this TVServer is the only app that will be accessing the SQL database? If so, then we could still use SQL Compact as the DB I guess...

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So if I understand this all correctly:

The TVServer is used in single-seat and multi-client configurations, but there will always be just one TVServer running.
    And this TVServer is the only app that will be accessing the SQL database? If so, then we could still use SQL Compact as the DB I guess...

Also the client is useng DB for example for EPG data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom