Use SQL Compact instead of SQL Express (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    While it sucks having to separately install SQL Express (hopefully Microsoft will release a merge module or something similar), recoding TVE3 to use SQL CE then coding the communication layer isn't exactly productive, especially as creating a robust communication layer like that isn't easy, and you're essentially reinventing the wheel. Any caching abilities will be lost too unless coded.

(post removed)

Edit: *argh*
    i am realy sorry. i have read that posts totaly wrong.....
    :sorry:

*infinityloop is cleaning his glasses*

bartmanson

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2004
    Nuremberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi infinityloop,

While it sucks having to separately install SQL Express (hopefully Microsoft will release a merge module or something similar), recoding TVE3 to use SQL CE then coding the communication layer isn't exactly productive, especially as creating a robust communication layer like that isn't easy, and you're essentially reinventing the wheel. Any caching abilities will be lost too unless coded.
    Question1: Did you had a look how it works? Does not sound like that
    Question2: Why is everyone here bitching about M$SQL server? if you do not like it, use the MySQL :confused:

FINALY!
    The Installation will become easier BUT no integraded db anymore.

nuff said.

if I understood sam's post correctly then his intention was to support the decision to use SQL express atm and not to complain about it because switching from SQL express to SQL ce would mean to reinvent the wheel and being not very productive.

Just my two cents...

Ciao,
    BartManson

fox_fsvlfs

December 17, 2010
    I apologize for reviving such and old thread, but I just wanted to share my opinion. :)

I wish that MediaPortal could use embedded database like MS SQL Compact Edition.

Why? Because full sql server eats too much resources and managing it can be too much hassle.

Why not use sql ce?
    - it supports 256 concurrent connections which should be more than enough for different modules accessing database at the same time
    - a need to store relatively small amount of data (like EPG) on TV service side should not be (in my opinion) the reason to use full SQL server, especially if there is a goal to make MediaPortal as mainstream as possible.
    - multiple clients are still possible (they connect to TV service instead of directly to database)
    - about reinventing the wheel for communication layer... there is already TV Service that must have some sort of communication layer and if that is not robust enough there is for example WCF (so there is no need to reinvent the wheel). The point I am trying to make is that clients directly accessing SQL Server is not an only option (it is often even not recommended).

Here are what I think are pros and cons of using sql ce:
    Pros
    - Make MediaPortal less bloated
    - Simpler installation
    - Removes dependency on external module (improperly configured SQL server can lead to compatibility issues, security issues... most end users are probably not qualified to properly configure and maintain SQL server)

Cons
    - Rewriting part of application that already works is something I can't really imagine anyone looking forward doing
    - Use of less powerful database engine (but does MediaPortal really needs more?)

My experience with MediaPortal:
    I recommended to friend to try MediaPortal. In the middle of installation, when he saw that SQL server needs to be installed, he canceled installation. He was unwilling to install SQL server on his PC just to try software for watching/recording TV. I didn't argue with him. You know what they say, the user is always right.

When I was installing MediaPortal on my system I had MS SQL Express already installed, but I had to download almost 200 MB big installation for MS SQL Management Studio (and install and update it) to enable SQL Server Authentication. I am sure there must be other methods, but that was the only one I knew right off the top of my head. This is just one random issue that external dependencies can bring.

Just my 2 cents

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi fox_fsvlfs,

As far as I know, MP2 uses SQL CE, but won't be full compatible with Windows XP or Vista. Minimum requirement for MP2 is actualiy set to Windows 7.

For now, MP1 supports only MS SQL or MySQL, and I'm not sure it will change...

fox_fsvlfs

December 17, 2010
    Now you got me excited about MP2 :) I didn't notice there was new major version of MediaPortal being developed as even MP1 still seems to be actively developed and/or maintained (as the last update was released less than a month ago). Can't wait to see what else v2 brings to the table. :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    - multiple clients are still possible (they connect to TV service instead of directly to database)

Unfortunately there is direct SQL access from all the clients. Rewriting that is not in scope of MP1 developement.

security issues...

I'm quite sure that even wrongly configured MS SQL server has much less security issues than the MP1 code base itself :p

In short - MP1 wont ever change the database backend it is using. The effort would be just too big (when MP1 is already at the end of it's life cycle).

fox_fsvlfs

December 17, 2010
    In short - MP1 wont ever change the database backend it is using. The effort would be just too big (when MP1 is already at the end of it's life cycle).
    Not really a problem. I was talking about MediaPortal in general, not specifically about MP1, and if developers are doing these improvements in all new MediaPortal version (MP2), then there is really nothing to complain about. I am just glad they are doing it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom