Using a generic serial IR device & remote in MediaPortal

Discussion in 'General Support' started by strict9, August 2, 2006.

1. strict9

strict9 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

I have a generic IR receiver connected on a serial port. I just use my sony TV remote to control my HTPC.

Previously, I used Meedio in conjunction with an older version of Girder. This worked fine. However, I recently formatted my computer in order to get a clean install for MediaPortal.

I've tried various options under Remote to get it to work in MediaPortal, but it doesn't respond. I tried Girder but that doesn't seem to sense my remote either. The only program I can get a response with is WinLIRC, but when I try to "learn" the remote I get errors about getting an inconsistant signal.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DocSens

DocSens Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. strict9

strict9 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My fault, it's a JVC controller. I checked the config listings and didn't find the model though.

I've also tried both my cable remote and a remote I bought off Ebay, and I still get that same message. The first phase in WinLIRC works fine, but when I actually go to assigning buttons it gives me the inconsistant signal error.

Are there any other ways I can get MediaPortal to recognize an IR signal?

5. DocSens

DocSens Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a generic remote, might be that I can configure this one as JVC and see what happens with winlirc. See if you can provide me a model number/type of your remote to check this out, than I can pass you a configuration file.... However, I am at work now, so it will take at least + 8h before I can do this....

6. strict9

strict9 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the offer! However I stumbled upon a program called uICE which thankfully recognizes my remote. I just assigned each button to a keyboard function and MediaPortal seems to pick it up.

I still have no clue why MediaPortal couldn't pick up the signals itself, but ah well.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!