Using a generic serial IR device & remote in MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

strict9

Portal Member
August 2, 2006
Hello all,

I have a generic IR receiver connected on a serial port. I just use my sony TV remote to control my HTPC.

Previously, I used Meedio in conjunction with an older version of Girder. This worked fine. However, I recently formatted my computer in order to get a clean install for MediaPortal.

I've tried various options under Remote to get it to work in MediaPortal, but it doesn't respond. I tried Girder but that doesn't seem to sense my remote either. The only program I can get a response with is WinLIRC, but when I try to "learn" the remote I get errors about getting an inconsistant signal.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

strict9

Portal Member
August 2, 2006
My fault, it's a JVC controller. I checked the config listings and didn't find the model though.

I've also tried both my cable remote and a remote I bought off Ebay, and I still get that same message. The first phase in WinLIRC works fine, but when I actually go to assigning buttons it gives me the inconsistant signal error.

Are there any other ways I can get MediaPortal to recognize an IR signal?

DocSens

Portal Member
May 7, 2006
Bremerhaven (Germany)
I have a generic remote, might be that I can configure this one as JVC and see what happens with winlirc. See if you can provide me a model number/type of your remote to check this out, than I can pass you a configuration file.... However, I am at work now, so it will take at least + 8h before I can do this....

strict9

Portal Member
August 2, 2006
Thanks for the offer! However I stumbled upon a program called uICE which thankfully recognizes my remote. I just assigned each button to a keyboard function and MediaPortal seems to pick it up.

I still have no clue why MediaPortal couldn't pick up the signals itself, but ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom