using BASS engine , there is no "bass" (low-freq. audio) (1 Viewer)

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I tried BASS engine few weeks ago, an older SVN.
    since then no build gave me proper sound as long as "BASS" was used.
    it seems like it outputs in only stereo, not using subwoofer at all (5.1)
    Movies(AC3/DTS) outputs 5.1 just fine, others sound good.
    the strangest thing is that the audio device itself, usually detects stereo on mixes it up, and send "bass"(audio) to subwoofer.

I installed MP from scratch yesterday, and the same problem remains.

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.1.0 SVN 12228
    Windows Version: XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: Pentium-M 1,6Ghz
    HDD: 160GB
    Memory: 1GB
    Motherboard: AOPEN X-Cube
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel MZ915-M
    Motherboard Bios: AWARD
    Video Card: Intel (on northbridge)
    Video Card Driver: 14.25
    Sound Card: Realtek 7.1
    Sound Card AC3: ?
    Sound Card Driver: 1.47
    1. TV Card: Hauppuage Win-TV PVR USB2
    1. TV Card Type: USB, HW encoder
    1. TV Card Driver: Happauge WinPVR USB2 24023
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Hauppauge
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Hauppauge
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Terrestial
    HTPC Case: XC-Cube
    Cooling: Air
    Power Supply: XC-Cube's ??W
    Remote: FireFly (via Girder)
    TV: none, 19" monitor+ Projector
    TV - HTPC Connection: NA

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This is the way it works, you#ll only get stereo sound.
    I have my HTPC connected to a Dolby Receiver via S/PDIF and it does the output for me to all speakers.

There is another way to address the speakers individually.
    THis has been asked already by other users.

However that means decoding the signal and then outputting it to the individual channels.
    i have it working in a sample program, but it doesn#t work from within MP.
    so until this is fixed, you need to live with stereo or use the directshow player.

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    then I'll stick to directshow, and no visualization, until that is fixed, could you please update this thread when fixed ?

thank you, great work.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well - I guess 99,95% of your music files will only be stereo, won't they?
    What's your audio device chain?

Using an AVR consider "Double Bass (Onkyo)" or "LFE+Main (Yamaha)" mode. For 5.1 enable ProLogic II music mode.

If you use cheap active speakers directly connected to the soundcard you have to use a plugin for stupid stuff like 4ch stereo or use AC3filter on mpeg streams to do the same like an AVR in software.

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well - I guess 99,95% of your music files will only be stereo, won't they?
    What's your audio device chain?

Using an AVR consider "Double Bass (Onkyo)" or "LFE+Main (Yamaha)" mode. For 5.1 enable ProLogic II music mode.

If you use cheap active speakers directly connected to the soundcard you have to use a plugin for stupid stuff like 4ch stereo or use AC3filter on mpeg streams to do the same like an AVR in software.

I'll not get into some sudio-system boasting contest here, this is not about "cheap" or "expensive" speakers/amp or whatever.

This is about a computer, sending out 6 channels, 4 corner speakers that are the same , 1 center that has some wider frequency range, and one subwoofer that needs to be used for low frequencys.
    the fact that most music is only stereo, does not change the fact that the sound should be correctly distributed to correct type of speakers, like low frequencys, still cannot be played well by common corner-speakers , but must be sent to subwoofer.

also, to "fill" a bigger living-room with sound, only 2 of 6 speakers are not enough, all 6 gives much better sound distribution.

----
    anyway, (maybe I misunderstood)
    .. and the reason for me to let computer decode, rather that output AC3/DTS directly, is that I have some bad experience making different sources to sound equally loud by doing so.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    This is about a computer, sending out 6 channels, 4 corner speakers that are the same , 1 center that has some wider frequency range, and one subwoofer that needs to be used for low frequencys.
    the fact that most music is only stereo, does not change the fact that the sound should be correctly distributed to correct type of speakers, like low frequencys, still cannot be played well by common corner-speakers , but must be sent to subwoofer.

also, to "fill" a bigger living-room with sound, only 2 of 6 speakers are not enough, all 6 gives much better sound distribution.

----
    anyway, (maybe I misunderstood)
    .. and the reason for me to let computer decode, rather that output AC3/DTS directly, is that I have some bad experience making different sources to sound equally loud by doing so.
    You can do that, if you want, by using directshow and ffdshow then, you will be able to output sounds in 5.1 channel (with PCM mode or AC3).
    Regards.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I've just confirmed with Al_capone, that there is a way doing it with the Bass Mixer.
    It'll arrive in SVN in the next weeks.

sebrock

September 14, 2006
    I've just confirmed with Al_capone, that there is a way doing it with the Bass Mixer.
    It'll arrive in SVN in the next weeks.

Sorry, maybe I have missed something here. By this do you mean it is possible to fix it with ffdshow or just the BASS Mixer alone?

I've already got all the codecs installed, I have no time to sit down and do a fresh install of everyhting or fiddeling with the codecs in registry to get this to work. I use the dshow-player until you get this to work. Keep up the great work!

Al_Capone

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    hwahrmann did it without using ffdshow, it looks very promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom