Using MP + MCE remote on a home PC (1 Viewer)

Joon4s

Portal Member
February 29, 2008
Hello everybody. Title isn't that good, but I'll explain my problem.

I have a very capable PC, which I've been using to watch downloaded videos on extended desktop. I decided to install MP and it worked out perfectly, no problems what so ever. Now I bought a MCE remote and that works fine too, until someone else is on the computer checking email or just browsing internet. When I use the remote while someone else is using for example firefox on the computer, the remote starts controlling firefox and does nothing on MP.

Is there a way to get the remote focus only on MP and ignore all other programs and active windows? Or do I have to build a dedicated pc just for that?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You can do that.

But you'll need to prevent Windows from automatically handling the arrow keys and other buttons that it does automatically, because they will always effect the in-focus window. That can be done with a registry modification that is described in the "You don't need the MCE Replacement Driver" post in my signature.

Then you'll need to use a plugin that allows you to control MediaPortal even when it's not in focus... So something like the MCE Replacement Plugin would do that, or you could use the IR Server Suite if you want more complete control over the whole PC.

I'd say try the MCE Replacement Plugin first because it is fairly simple. There is an option for "require focus" that you can change so that it acts on all buttons even when it's not focussed.

Hope that helps,

Joon4s

Portal Member
    February 29, 2008
    Wow, it worked like a charm, thank you!

I have a few additional questions. Is there an option to send MP to system tray instead of taskbar? I know there's an application that can do it to any program, but is it available directly in mediaportal? I'm just trying to avoid unnecessary apps. (Ultramon is the app that can do it, just enable smart taskbar and MP will be on the second monitor's taskbar.)

Other one is that can you prevent the mouse from going to mediaportal side of the desktop? I bet that there's an external solution to this too but I was just wondering if it was already implemented on MP. (Also available in ultramon, but has to be activated with a hot key every time windows starts :( )

I'd like if I could get mediaportal to be invisible for other users of the pc.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I don't know of any way to block the mouse from entering the second screen, at least nothing built into MediaPortal.

As for the Minimize to tray, I believe that's an option in the general settings area of the MediaPortal Configuration app.

Glad to hear it's working for you,

Joon4s

Portal Member
    February 29, 2008
    I actually didn't mean minimizing, just showing the app in system tray instead of taskbar. But Ultramon works out just fine, so it's all good. And if someone else is trying to figure out how to lock the mouse to primary monitor, here's your solution, it's called Cursor Lock:

Download MultiMonitor Cursor Lock 2.11 - Use this application to lock the mouse cursor into the monitor where selected program is opened on - Softpedia

Just start the app with /S switch to lock your mouse to primary monitor. Switch /U unlocks it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom