Using two mediaportal on same pc with 2 graphicscard (1 Viewer)

frippe75

Portal Member
June 6, 2006
Maybe not a feature ????

And I understand that using two MCE remotes will cause problems as both instances will see keypresses from both remotes.

But keeping down the number of computers would be nice.
Especially with Geffen's new HDMI cables running on fibrecables... lenghts up to 100meters...

As today it is not possible to start 2 mediaportal instances. but would it be possible???

So... To add a second TV... (If you have a graphics card with two HDMI outputs).
*Extra remote
*Usb extension... As I understand USB-wireless will be available shortly
*Sound Maybe external connected via the USB -wireless

Have I forgotten anything :) ???

Well maybe today the geffen HDMI cable and WirelessUSB will be more expensive than getting an extra computer.....

Maybe the actual physical HW address can be read for the MCE remote to determine which one is which...

Or file a request to microsoft to add a "remote number code"... hahahahaha

frippe75

Portal Member
June 6, 2006
Maybe this is to early in the computer revoloution but :)

Somebody should design a extender-card with everything needed hardwarewise as a pci card with a fibrechannel connector. including sound.picture and control....

some one please ;-) ??

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
December 31, 2005
Scotland
Home Country
Scotland Scotland
media portal doesnt like two monitors

its somthing to do with only the primery monitor uses direct x and media portal needs direct x.

blaudden

Portal Pro
November 19, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Maybe you can try to install a virtual macine on your pc and run the second MP on that one. Of course it's a lot of things to setup, but you can always try.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    with the new tv engine you are probably best off setting up an old x-box to be an extender. very cheap and relatively easy solution.
    Like you say, an old PC could also work well. Anything from an old GeForce2 motherboard with inbuilt gfx and an old AMD Athlon will work very well (that's what my main MP PC is built on).

frippe75

Portal Member
    June 6, 2006
    I dont think VMware can be setup to be used this way....

And... Setting up a cheap computer would be an option... It's just that it wont be soo cheap if it's supposed to be quite...

Otherwise its possible to build a frontend for around 350$... but then again the TVserver will have go from alpha->beta->quite stabel->stable :)

-Still think the dev team is doing a superjob though!!

HappyTalk

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2006
    UK
    media portal doesnt like two monitors
    Yer he's talking about using TWO gfx cards so both should have DirectX. I talked about a solution for this that addresses a few other wish list items I see popping up on here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=12955 .

I guess once the tv-server is solid then how it's used is wide open. I'd like to see how well/badly a web based front end MP talking to a server-side web server plugin would work, then you could run as many front ends as you want multicasting each out of a different port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom