Using Video_TS or ISO for imported DVD's on NAS? (1 Viewer)

darkside40

Portal Pro
August 17, 2009
Ruhrgebiet
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi there,
i want to move all my DVD's to a NAS so i can play them on different MePo HTPC's at home.

Important question for me is now, should i rip them as ISO's or as Video_TS and let Moving Pictures let's index it.

Better to say, does it makes any difference?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: UNsing Video_TS or ISO for imported DVD's on NAS?

I always use ISO, because I don't have to have a folder for each movie. Ofc. you need MediaPortal to mount it when playing, but that takes close to no time for me.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: UNsing Video_TS or ISO for imported DVD's on NAS?

You could also consider HandBrake to easaly compress it into the Matroska container, so you can store more media on the same storage volume. If you are a stickler for quality (or time, as re-encoding to compress it smaller can be extremly time consuming if done right) then you can opt to not apply any re-compression and use the DVD/BR codecs as-is.

You are then still able to save a lot of storage space, because you can strip trailers, language tracks, bonus material and other stuff. There is no loss in function, Matroska container has support for all the DVD/BR codecs, for video, sound, but also subtitles, chapters and more. The support for the DVD menu structure is still weak, because it is possible to recreate the way a DVD works as-is, but most users care for the feature presentation anyway.

On MediaPortal side you then also save yourself from ISO mounting delays.

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I know i could reencode everything.
    I do this quite often for friends or for TV recordings, Video and Audio arent the problem here, but saving subs (especially forced subs) takes time.
    And if you have around 500 original DVD's it takes a lot of time reencoding everything.

That why i ask what is the best way saving my DVD's, especially because they are saved on a NAS, what means that the ISO must be mounted via LAN. Has anybody experience with that?

Btw. i always use MeGUI for such tasks.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I know i could reencode everything... but saving subs (especially forced subs) takes time.
    Btw. i always use MeGUI for such tasks.

You might want to give HandBrake a shot then, because it is not supposed to take any extra time.

The creation of an MKV container without re-encoding usually takes just as long as the creation of an ISO container does. But subs, especially forced ones can be added as-is, MKV has support for bitmap subtitles so there is no extra time required, they are added as quickly as your computer can copy a file.

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just looked at Handbrake, for me there was no Option to just remuxx my Video_TS to MKV.

I had just the choice to reencode it to x264, XviD or Theora with several presets.

emma24xia

December 9, 2014
    Home Country
    China China
    I've worked out how to get the device to stream wirelessly via a 2TB drive where the media files are. Now I want to movie all my DVD collections to NAS and then stream to other devices. I choose ByteCopy to do the work and save all my DVD to multi-track MKV on NAS server and then for the streaming. You may get a shot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom