Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3
Windows Version: Win XP SP3 EN
CPU Type: MD Athlon 64 X2 4050+ EE
HDD: SSD OCZ Core Series V2 - 30GB system disk+Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 3.5" 1TB WD10EACS
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI (BIOS 1101)
Video Card: on board
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.5
Sound Card: on board
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: AVerTV Hybrid Speedy
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD 7.0 + PowerDVD 7.0 navigator
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MpaDecFilter.ax 1.1.845.0
h.264 Video Codec: MPCVideoDec.ax 1.1.845.0
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion V2 (silver)
Cooling: Passive
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Hyundai Q320
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello.

Well, i have problem playing VC-1 (HD720) videos from my Camcorder on XP SP3 in MP, but only in fullscreen.
Video start OK using DXVA, but i got glitches and freezes.
This problem apears only when using Catalyst 8.6 - 8.10 (it is working perfectly under 8.5) + MediaPortal VMR9 + fullscreen.
Strange thing is, that it ony happend in fullscreen mode. If i start MP in window mode, all working OK.
If i uncheck "use exclusive mode", playback are much better, but still not perfect...

If i select EVR, video playback seems to be OK, but i got ugly audio/video desynchronization...

In MPC-HC, playback is OK (window/fullscreen).

I post it here becouse i belive it is somehow related between new version of catalyst (8.5+) and MediaPortal.

Here link on video example.

Logs:
VMR9:
View attachment 28072

EVR:
View attachment 28073

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This is one of the issues, you can only pray for a fix in the ATI drivers or use a different codec/filter.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    This is one of the issues, you can only pray for a fix in the ATI drivers or use a different codec/filter.

Thanks for info. Are you sure this is codec problem? I am using MPC-HC video decoder. And in MPC-HC player (same decoder) my files working fine. Problem ony happend in MP.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Thanks for info. Are you sure this is codec problem? I am using MPC-HC video decoder. And in MPC-HC player (same decoder) my files working fine. Problem ony happend in MP.
    I blame the combination of ATI, the codec and the renderer in this case. Sadly not the only case where this is true. :(

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I blame the combination of ATI, the codec and the renderer in this case. Sadly not the only case where this is true. :(

Just trying to understand it all better...Are you saying the renderer used by MediaPortal can't handle as much formats as other players can?
    Is this renderer built in or can I change it so more formats can be played?

ie. I just downloaded the well known vc-1.ts version of Planet Earth in HD, but in MP I have no success playing it. The vc-1.ts version is widely distributed so a lot of people should be able to play it (in other players).
    I would love to be able to play it in MP.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Are you saying the renderer used by MediaPortal can't handle as much formats as other players can?
    When you play a movie or watch TV in MediaPortal, then it does exactly the same as i.e. WindowsMediaPlayer.
    It will create an DirectShow graph, where various filters get added.

MediaPortal "itselfe" is not able to "play any movie". It uses the filters you have installed on your PC.
    So if you have a very poor filter (aka. codec) for. i.e. mpeg2 installed on your system, then you will have issues, MediaPortal is no responsible for.

If you try to play a video which was encoded using h.264, and you do not have an h.264 codec installed on your PC, then it will not be able to play it.

I hope that this description helps a bit to understand how MediaPortal "plays" movies.

note: virtually every "player" works like that.
    one of the very few exceptions is VLC, which does not use directshow. it has "its own solution to play media".
    and before you ask. no, we can not simply integrate it into MP. :)

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Are you saying the renderer used by MediaPortal can't handle as much formats as other players can?
    When you play a movie or watch TV in MediaPortal, then it does exactly the same as i.e. WindowsMediaPlayer.
    It will create an DirectShow graph, where various filters get added.

MediaPortal "itselfe" is not able to "play any movie". It uses the filters you have installed on your PC.
    So if you have a very poor filter (aka. codec) for. i.e. mpeg2 installed on your system, then you will have issues, MediaPortal is no responsible for.

If you try to play a video which was encoded using h.264, and you do not have an h.264 codec installed on your PC, then it will not be able to play it.

I hope that this description helps a bit to understand how MediaPortal "plays" movies.

note: virtually every "player" works like that.

Ok, I understand that I need a h264 codec to decode h264 content and that I need a good mpeg2 decoder to play all mpeg2 without any issues.

So with that in mind: I have AC3filter and Powerdvd8 codecs installed (and MPA/MPV). Not really "very poor filters", wouldn't you say?
    I have them both selected in MP. Now, if WMP, MPC, PowerDVD and MP are all doing the same thing as you're saying, why do they all give me different results? :oops:

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country

Just trying to understand it all better...Are you saying the renderer used by MediaPortal can't handle as much formats as other players can?

ie. I just downloaded the well known vc-1.ts version of Planet Earth in HD, but in MP I have no success playing it. The vc-1.ts version is widely distributed so a lot of people should be able to play it (in other players).
    I would love to be able to play it in MP.

If your file is *.ts and you have problem to play it in MP, it can be MediaPortal TS splitter too. You can try a little trick - install Haali media Splitter, rename your *.ts to *.mkv and try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom