Very high CPU usage on live TV playback (DXVA enabled!) (1 Viewer)

madmat17

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Austria
Home Country
Austria Austria
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 final (disaster edition)
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 4850e, 2x 2.50GHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green, 1TB, 32MB Cache
Memory: 2GB DDR2
Motherboard: Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI
Video Card: onboard (AMD/ATI HD3200)
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 9.5
Sound Card: onboard (ALC883 High Definition Audio 8-Channel CODEC)
Sound Card AC3: S/PDIF coaxial & optical out
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5591
1. TV Card: TERRATEC Cinergy S2 PCI HD CI (with BlueCam Twin)
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver: 1.1.0.901
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF v4.00 final
MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF v4.00 final
h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 8
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black
Cooling: Scythe Ninja Mini (passive) + 2x Scythe Slip Stream 120 mm 800 (case fans)
Power Supply:
Remote: iMon RM200
TV: Panasonic TX-P50GW10
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi folks,

I'm gonna go mad with HDTV...
It used to work some time ago, but then I re-imaged my machine in order to switch to MP1.1. Since then I couldn't make HDTV run smoothly in MePo. Everything is like charm when using DVBViewer (~7% CPU usage) but as soon as I want to watch HDTV in MePo I get a lot of glitches, pixelations and heavy stuttering (~50-80% CPU usage - which means that always one of my CPU's two cores is under full throttle).

Things I've done so far:
  • I checked the registry, if DXVA was enabled for PDVD codecs in MePo
  • checked in GraphStudio whether DXVA is really being used (and is IS being used)
  • tried different Codecs (PDVD8 which came with my PowerDVD 8 BD Edition, PDVD8 which came with my TerraTec TV playback software, PDVD10, DivX H.264 Decoder and ffdshow DXVA)
    DivX and ffdshow used to have a smooth picture, but produced errors after switching to another channel
  • tried differen graphics drivers
  • disables miniDisplay plugin (I read somewhere, that in MP1.1 it would cause high CPU load due to a faulty DLL)
  • made some reg hacks with the ATI HD Reg Tweaks script
However, it seems that I'm stuck.
To my mind MePo's usability is at a very, very high level. But for me one of it's core functions is watching TV - and possibly in high def, as SD sucks on a 50 inches screen. I hope, someone does have THE idea what I should check or try. Otherwise I'm forced to abandone MePo for this release (WAF is key - and it's getting worse with every stuttering HDTV minute...)
So PLEASE give me helpful hint, if you have one...

Attached you'll find the logs.
Please note that I DON'T have bad signal - it seems, that the TVServer is misinterpreting the data from the TV card's driver. DVBViewer is showing 98% signal quality.
In the TsReader log I found a lot of late frame messages. Is this a symptom caused by the high CPU load? Or could it cause the stuttering? If so: how may I solve this? I have no clue...

Any help is REALLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mat

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Very high CPU usage on live TV playback (DXVA enabled!)

Hi,

I had the same or similar behavior of MP lately. A clean install solved it. Don't know why or what caused the harm. Only difference after the install is, that I didn't activate MiniDisplay. But I know that it worked with it for weaks like a charm.

One thing might cause the high cpu load on your system: Do you have post processing enabled? ffdshow resize or something similar?

madmat17

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Very high CPU usage on live TV playback (DXVA enabled!)

Hi,

With clean install you man a complete system setup, or just drivers (after clean uninstall), codecs and MePo?
    I do only have ffdshow audio to postprocess audio - but that's nothing new; used to have that before. However, I'll give it a try.

Mat

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I did a complete clean install. Before that you could try to install saf 5 beta and disable all post processing as described here Link

madmat17

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: Very high CPU usage on live TV playback (DXVA enabled!)

Thanks. Already tried that (SAF5) - no difference. I don't suspect the codecs, but more the TsReader thing (log looks strange).
    Log shows some kind of delays - and quite many per second. Any idea?

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Mh, same thing about our configs is the antec case. Have you tried to uninstall the imon software completely? Maybe a newer ati driver than 9.5 could help also. If you do wanna try then go for 10.9a Link because of the overscan bug.

madmat17

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

I don't think that this is driver related, since everything works fine in DVBViewer.
    But thinking about updating the driver....

Mat

madmat17

Portal Pro
    August 4, 2005
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ok. Re-installing WinXP Pro from the scratch almost did it.
    HDTV isn't stuttering anymore, however there're still some glitches and pixelations on ORF1 HD (Austrian public broadcaster sending in 720p) and very vew FPS on HD channels from sky. In the meantime I suspect the CAM I'm using. does someone have similar issues with Giga TwinCam Blue in combination with Cryptoworks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom