MPEG2 Audio Codec: SoundMAX
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Charter
HTPC Case: Some cheap thing from NewEgg
Cooling: Fans
Power Supply: 350W
Remote: Microsoft
TV: Samsung 46" DLP
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

I'm having a strange problem that I can't figure out and I'm hoping someone can help. I've been using Mediaportal for about 8 months now without a single issue. Then suddenly in the last couple of days MP would crash whenever I watched a DVD. This unit has never done anything but run MP and it is a dedicated machine. Anyway, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling MP and still the DVD crash problem kept happening. So I assumed perhaps something in the OS became corrupted and instead of spending hours and hours trying to trouble shoot I just formatted the drive and reinstalled everything.

Okay, this is where it gets weird. During the setup of MP I did the usual channel scans and radio station scans. Everything was detected without issue. You could see the whole signal strength, it read the correct channels, etc etc. However, when I try to watch TV there is no picture or sound and when I try to listen to the radio there is no sound. Regular system sounds work fine, and it must be getting a signal to have actually picked things up during the scans. However, I can't figure out why I don't get audio or video.

Anyone have any ideas? The first time I set this up I didn't have a single issue...it was just lickity split and bang, I was a happy camper. I do notice this build (which I thought was the same as the one I ran before) has a new menu selection for telesomething, so maybe there is something new I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated...and yes, if I get this working again, I'm making a Ghost image of the drive!

Berns

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi ExploreMN,

I've come accross your message while browsing for a sollution on a problem I currently have. Sorry for responding this late.
By the looks of it I'm wondering if you didn't have a codec issue. I've lived through something similar, and now I'm using FFDSHOW, both on server and on client.
Seems to have resulted in image and sound for me, so it can maybe help others in similar situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom