Video Capture Card As "Tuner"? (1 Viewer)

nvmarino

October 25, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi All,

I'm looking for any insight into the possibility of using a generic video capture card and my soundcard line in as a tuner in tvserver. Since my capture cards has directshow drivers, I'd think the only real difference between this setup and using an analog TV capture card with software encoding is the TV card has a tuner onboard; I can mux the audio and video together and encode in mpeg2 via dshow filters just like a software tuner card. As I'm using an external set top box as the source, I have no need for the TV card tuner anyway.

I've read everything I can find about adding support for SW encoding cards to MP (now that s/w encoding cards are supported in the tvserver I'm assuming the procedure to add them is the same) and, based on my research, I'd guess it's possible. Unfortunately, as I haven't been able to find any detailed documentation on the CaptureCardsDefinitions.xml parameters, it looks like I'm going to have to resort to trial and error to figure it out. I was hoping to at least find out if someone might know definitively if this is NOT going to work, or if anyone has gotten something similar working in the past, before I spend hours/days/weeks on this.

It would also be extremely helpful if anyone could point me to a decent doc that describes the various parameters of capturecardsdefinitions.xml. This would help tremendously with figuring out the problem at hand and also another project I previously gave up on. I spent a significant amount of time trying to get my STB connected via firewire to work as an digital HD tuner in MP but was never able to figure out the magic capturecardsdefinitions formula.

TIA for any help!

--Nino

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom