vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all.
    I am plagued with issues concerning my video card.
    I have the choice to use either a ATI or nVidia based video card but both have their pros and cons.
    ATI have great video quality but are plagued with ghosting / blotchy artefacts which are caused by this TrDenoise issue i read about everywhere for which there is no longer a fix for . Please correct me if i am wrong and point me to a website that has a working fix.
    ATI cards also ( as far as i can tell ) do not support 50Hz refresh thru DVI which is a must for me in a PAL country.
    They do however support my LCD TV native resolution of 1366x768.

nVidia on the otherhand, do have 50Hz support to some extent and do not exhibit the ghosting issue that ATI has.
    But, my 8600GT insists that my native resolution is 1024x768 which doesn't look good on a 16:9 screen..
    The picture quality is not as 'sharp' or 'clear' as my ATI x1650Pro card.

My question is to anyone living here in Australia ( or any PAL country ), how are you getting along with these issues ? What cards are you using ? What tweaks have you applied ? etc...

thank you for your help...

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi!
    I have a HD3450 which I am very pleased with.
    I used the registry tweaks found here: ATI HD Registry Tweaks This makes PQ better than what I had with my 8500GT (IMO).

The only downside is that I am unable to force 1080p50 (this is no problem if your LCD supports this in EDID). This can probably be fixed by using PowerStrip - which does not support nVidia 8x00-sereis (probably not 9x00-series either).

Good luck choosing!

PS: The reg. tweak includes
    Code:
    "TrDenoise"="0"

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi!
    I have a HD3450 which I am very pleased with.
    I used the registry tweaks found here: ATI HD Registry Tweaks This makes PQ better than what I had with my 8500GT (IMO).

The only downside is that I am unable to force 1080p50 (this is no problem if your LCD supports this in EDID). This can probably be fixed by using PowerStrip - which does not support nVidia 8x00-sereis (probably not 9x00-series either).

Good luck choosing!

PS: The reg. tweak includes
    Code:
    "TrDenoise"="0"

Thanks Spragleknas,
    but the link you sent me does not apply to my x1650 pro.

cheers

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I know, but I though you were planning on buying a card. My bad. The HD3450 is really might be something to look into?

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I know, but I though you were planning on buying a card. My bad. The HD3450 is really might be something to look into?

Well i actually just bought a 8600GT 2 days ago, but i am not happy with it.
    I just realised that i have a low profile HD3450 in my bedroom HTPC. I will take it out and install in my main HTPC in the loungeroom and put my nvidia card back into my bedroom rig which is only running a CRT 51cm TV.

will report back when done.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ****UPDATE****

Installed the HD3450 in my main HTPC and applied the registry hack mentioned above.

All is good now.. picture quality is 10000000% better than before.

Thanks for the help Spragleknas... cheers

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It would be so nice if a card would come to the marked that is specifically designed for use with TV's. Like the XBOX 1 (a console I have experience with) has integrated. Image quality is superb and there is no need to do complicated configurations and tuning. The image ALWAYS fits in the screen without deformation. I'm actually a bit surprised something like that doesn't already exists. There are so many people nowadays using a dedicated PC for HTPC purposes that it must be commercially interesting to produce such a card. Also, the technical specifications don't have to be state of the art to do all you can think of with a HTPC.

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    ****UPDATE****

Just installed Catalyst 8.5 and the image quality has improved a lot.
    I think Ati are finally listening to people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom