[confirm] Video freezes when the Menu button is pressed - Audio continues for a bit (1 Viewer)

jedney

Portal Member
October 30, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi,

I'm having a problem with MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 playing back DVD's and I was hoping someone might be able to lend a hand?

What Doesn't Work
When playing a DVD (either physical or ripped to the harddrive) the DVD starts properly and shows the usual copyright notices, trailers, etc, however, if I press the Menu button on the remote then the audio for the Main Menu of the DVD starts but the picture is locked on whatever was on the screen at the time the Menu button was pressed. If I don't press the Menu button then when all the intros end and the Main Menu starts to appear the video starts jumping and the navigation buttons don't do anything. Eventually (whether I've pressed Menu or not) MediaPortal locks up. Occasionally pressing Stop will get me back into MP, sometimes I have to kill the app in Task Manager.

What Does Work
Playback of AVI/DIVX/MTS/etc and a very small handful of DVD's.
Everything else (TV, Music, etc)

My Background and PC Background
I've been successfuly using MP for over 4 years and ran the 8-Jan-10 SVN version for the last few weeks before installing RC1. I've not seen this problem before.

What Remedies Have I Tried
  • Disabled all non-standard plugin's.
  • Removed all Codec's and installed SAF v4.00 RC2
  • Tried all the different codec's installed with SAF (PowerDVD9, etc) - problem stayed the same.
  • Tried playback of DVD in Windows Media Centre 7 - worked fine.
  • Tried playback of DVD in WMP - worked fine.
  • Tried playback of DVD in MPC-HC - worked fine.
  • Checked Graph - ffdshow definitely being used by MP.
  • Tried turning off DXVA - no effect (not suprising as ffdshow doesn't use DXVA)
  • Tried VRM9 - This FIXES the DVD problem, however it then breaks my AVI/DIVX/MTS/etc playback (audio works but video is blank)

So basically I'm left toggling VMR9 and EVR to watch DVD or AVI/DIVX/MTS/etc.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions please? I've attached system spec's below and a log capture of one of the failed playbacks. To generate the log I performed the following actions:
  • Opened one of the problem DVD's.
  • Waited for the trailers, etc.
  • Pressed Menu.
  • -- Video froze at this point but audio for the Main Menu started.
  • Waited for the audio to freeze as well.
  • Press Alt+F4.
  • Generated the log.

Thanks for your help and thanks for all the efforts you put into this project.

Regards,
Jon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU Type: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU: Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)
HDD: C: Kingston SSD 60GB / Others: 4TB
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
Video Card Driver: Catalyst v10.2 (8.702-100202a-095693C-ATI)
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (Onboard)
Sound Card AC3: Coax S/PDIF to: Logitech Z5500 Digital 5.1 DTS96/24 THX PrologicII
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.5864 (2/06/2009)
1. TV Card: Hauppage WinTV HVR 3000 Triple Mode Digital Tuner
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: 2.124.27191.1 (4/08/2009)
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow tryouts revision 3255 (SAF v4.00 RC2)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow tryouts revision 3255 (SAF v4.00 RC2)
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: NZ Free to Air (Optus D1)
HTPC Case: Silverstone Grandia SST-GD01S-MXR
Cooling: ASUS Arctic Square 4in1
Power Supply: Corsair HX450
Remote: Logitech Harmony 525 (to Microsoft USB Reciever)
TV: Sanyo (LCD-32XR1)
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Now, that is a quality bug report! This is how they should always be.

About the issue itself, logs doesn't show any issues. Could you try disabling DXVA for DVD playback? When you used the Cyberlink MPEG2 decoder, did you use Cyberlink navigator as well? Also did you try MS MPEG2 decoder that comes with W7? It was not listed.

If those aren't helping troubleshooting, it would be good if you could rip the menu from one of the DVDs that are causing the issue and provide it for us to be tested.

jedney

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for such a quick reply tourettes.

I've tried the following codec's with the MS DVD Navigator:
    • Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
    • ffdshow Video Decoder
    • MPC - Video Decoder
    • CyberLink Video Decoder (PDVD9)

The result was identical.

For some reason I don't get the PDVD Navigator showing up, so I tried reinstalling SAF again, but that didn't help.

I realise most things are pointing towards the DVD Navigator so I thought I may as well risk full codec meltdown and install the demo version of PDVD 9 to get the navigator - it worked, "CyberLink DVD Navigator (PDVD9)" showed up in the Navigator dropdown list. I switched the video codec to "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)" and now DVD playback seems to work. I've tried TV, AVI/MTS and the DVD's and they all seem to be working properly :)

Do you (or does anyone else reading this thread) know whether the PDVD9 demo period has any affect when your just using the codec and navigator from within MP? I'm sure I read in another thread that the demo period had no effect?

If you still want the DVD menu's for testing then I'm happy to send them over, but I guess unless anyone else reports this problem I've probably just got a one-off quirky install.

Thanks for your help,
    Jon.

jedney

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi hoborg, yes I do have "Any" on the fly DVD decrypter installed, it hasn't been updated for a while, it was the same one I used with Beta 1 and the 8-Jan-2010 SVN. I didn't try turning it off whilst testing as I thought it only affected physical disks? The problem I was having was with both harddrive based VOB's and physical DVD's. Thanks, Jon.

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi hoborg, yes I do have "Any" on the fly DVD decrypter installed, it hasn't been updated for a while, it was the same one I used with Beta 1 and the 8-Jan-2010 SVN. I didn't try turning it off whilst testing as I thought it only affected physical disks? The problem I was having was with both harddrive based VOB's and physical DVD's. Thanks, Jon.

You are lucky PDVD navigator fixed problem for you. I have some DVD that doesnot work witk PDVD navigator at all, but work perfectly with MS DVD navigator.

jedney

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, I've just come across the problem again on a different DVD. I still need to do a bit more tinkering to see if changing codec's, navigators, etc works and to have another look in the logs, but not looking promising right now :-(

jedney

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yep, the problems back (on a different DVD).

If I use the "CyberLink DVD Navigator (PDVD9)" navigator with the "CyberLink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD9)" it doesn't work - the DVD freezes when I press the Menu button on my remote control. (I can still use the "Stop" button to exit the DVD player, so MP hasn't crashed)

If I switch the codec to "ffdshow" and Navigator to "MS DVD Navigator" the DVD works (but the DVD at the start of this thread stop's working).

If I use the PDVD nav+codec but disable DXVA then it works (but, once again, the DVD at the start of this thread stop's working).

Sounds like it's not an uncommon problem to have certain DVD's work in different players/navigators, can I be of any assistance by providing some example VOB's, or running some additional tests? I would really like to get this resolved.

Thanks for all your help,
    Jon.

P.S. Just to rule it out I've stopped my on the fly DVD decryper running at Windows startup, the problems above happened without the DVD decrypter running.

P.P.S. I've just checked again and all these DVD's work fine in MPC-HC using ffdshow and in PowerDVD 9 Ultra when opened outside MP.

christix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2008
    Skepplanda
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

Have you tried switch to WMR9 Renderer. I bet it will solve the problem, but it don't feels "right" :confused:

Christer

I found a solotion for the EVR problem. I simply replaced the dshowhelper.dll with the one from svn 01-08. Now it's all working

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom