[Video] Language settings (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Come to think of language settings that, IMO, should be though of for MP2 (perhaps even MP1?).

There are two language specific settings for videos: speech/sound and text. For me, first pref would be Norwegian, followed by English

What I'd like to see is:

If Norwegian speech -> No subs
    Else -> 1. Norwegian subs 2. English subs

Thoughts?

Smeulf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2010
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi Spragleknas,

First, I'll try to explain how MP2 works for now : it's a king of remembered settings, IE if the last video played was with Norvegian audio track and English subtrack, the player will try to apply the same parameters to the next video, and apply the default video settings if it can't.

In my opinion, it brokes too much the default video settings, still in my opinion, we should be able to keep the default video settings for subs and audio.

Now, about your idea, it's pretty interesting, but I think it's incomplete. Here's how I see it from my personal usage (I prefer watch a video in English with French Subtitles), so my logic is :

- If Audio Track=English present AND SubTitlesTrack=French is present then use
    else
    - If Audio Track=French is present then use
    else
    - If audio Track=English then use
    else (optional) use parameters from last video
    else use default video settings

I see a problem when there is 2 audio tracks for the same language. As an example, in a MKV, there's no specifc tag to mark a director's comment audio track. We could then use the 1st track by default but......

The other problem I can see is the way a video encodes the language. I'm not sure (?) it's the same code for all formats (AVI, MKV, TS, etc...) so maybe it could be diffucult.

But I think it can be usefull :)

Cheers.

Yohann.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom