Video playback issue, survives OS reinstallation (1 Viewer)

JackRackham

Portal Member
January 7, 2007
Home Country
Italy Italy
TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: XP Professional SP3
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 @ 2600 MHz
HDD: Maxtor 80Gb
Memory: 2 x 512Mb DDR-SDRAM PC3200
Motherboard: ASRock P4i65G
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Video Card Driver: nVidia ForceWare 93.71
Sound Card: Onboard C-Media 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
Sound Card AC3: N/A
Sound Card Driver: UDA049_build02(Logo49.1_Standard)
1. TV Card: Twinhan DTV Miniter (3020C)
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 1.2.3.8
2. TV Card: N/A
2. TV Card Type: N/A
2. TV Card Driver: N/A
3. TV Card: N/A
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver: N/A
4. TV Card: N/A
4. TV Card Type: N/A
4. TV Card Driver: N/A
MPEG2 Video Codec: nVidia PureVideo Decoder Platinum 1.02-223
MPEG2 Audio Codec: nVidia PureVideo Decoder Platinum 1.02-223
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow tryouts beta5 rev2033 20080705
Satelite/CableTV Provider: N/A
HTPC Case: Unknown MicroATX case
Cooling: Standard OEM + 2 60mm silent fans for the case
Power Supply: Unknown 300W
Remote: Microsoft MCE Remote
TV: Philips
TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video (to TV Scart)

Hello everybody, I hope someone can help me!

I have a fresh install of Windows XP with Service Pack 3, italian language (official MSDN iso image, legit serial number). Right after I installed the official drivers and softwares for my hardware and then I run Microsoft Update until I have nothing else to download.
Everything runs fine and all hardware is working. At this point I usually make a Ghost image!

After this, I manually install "Parser MSXML 6.0" and also "Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package", both required by MediaPortal setup and both download from Microsoft website.

Then I install the codecs, ffdshow tryouts, Haali Media Splitter and VSFilter, using the default settings (according to Goose guide). On my MediaPortal machine, I usually install nVidia PureVideo Decoder to decode MPEG2 for DVD and TV (DVB-T). Note: my problem occurs even if I don't install the PureVideo decoder.

Finally I install the BDA-DVB hotfix and reboot.

At this point, everything runs fine. I can decode audio and video files from both local hard disk and from network shares. TV is also working with the manufactor software.

Then I install MediaPortal 1.0 RC2, and I find that I can't watch like half of my videos. When I press play the screen just make a couple of flicks and the video just doesn't start. But If I close MediaPortal and try to watch the same video with WMP11 it works without problems!

I never had playback issues with the previous MediaPortal versions and in example some of the same videos I watched with RC1, now I can't with RC2.

I'm pretty sure I did everything correct (and I also successfully did it in the past with previous MediaPortal versions!) but I'm getting so frustrated that maybe I can't see my own mistakes!

I tried to solve the problem by myself, I tried to reinstall everything from the start, I reinstalled XP like 5 or 6 times, used several Ghost images, I tried to use different codecs on different XP installations. Nothing worked! :(

Can anyone of you guys take a look at my logs and see if there's something wrong?

Thanks in advance!
VinceVega

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Code:
    2008-08-12 16.58.14.078125 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: could not connect Vobsub's input video pin...

could you please uninstall the "VSFilter" and try again?
    :D

JackRackham

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Code:
    2008-08-12 16.58.14.078125 [Info.][MPMain]: VideoPlayerVMR9: could not connect Vobsub's input video pin...

Hi... it actually works! After days, it's a breath of fresh air! :)
    I did a quick test with the "problematic" videos and now they play just fine!
    But I can't live without subtitles! :) Any workaround for this issue? A different version of VSFilter? Some settings I messed up?
    I'm going offline for a couple days (I'm changing ISP) but hopefully I will read email on my cell phone.
    Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciated it!
    Please, let me know!
    Bye
    VV.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Code:

Hi... it actually works! After days, it's a breath of fresh air! :)
    I did a quick test with the "problematic" videos and now they play just fine!
    But I can't live without subtitles! :) Any workaround for this issue? A different version of VSFilter? Some settings I messed up?
    I'm going offline for a couple days (I'm changing ISP) but hopefully I will read email on my cell phone.
    Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciated it!
    Please, let me know!
    Bye
    VV.
    i do not use VSFilter, so i am not sure why it breaks the graphbuilding.

does it work when you play the file in WindowsMediaPlayer?
    or is it not even "loaded" there? means no subtitles.

JackRackham

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    infinityloop said:
    i do not use VSFilter, so i am not sure why it breaks the graphbuilding.

does it work when you play the file in WindowsMediaPlayer?
    or is it not even "loaded" there? means no subtitles.

Hi!
    Yes, when I play the video in Windows Media Player it work correctly with VSFilter.
    Also it plays well with Media Player Classic and Zoom Player (from local and remote shares).

I also tried an alternative Windows setup using CCCP Codec Pack (ffdshow, Haali and VSFilter in a single setup kit) and the issue is still present.

I never had this issues with MediaPortal before and since I can replicate the problem after formatting and reinstalling the OS and even with different versions of VSFilter we should now start to consider this issue as a bug?

I will be back online with the new ISP in a couple days!
    Thanks a lot for all the help!
    --
    JackRackham

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Are you using VSFilter 2.38 ?

I had the same problem when I had

1. Haali Media Splitter settings: Autoload VSFilter: YES and

2. MP Configuration -> Movies -> Post processing: DirectVobSubFilter enabled

So, in order to play movies with embedded subtitles and external subtitles I have:

1. Haali Media Splitter settings: Autoload VSFilter: NO and
    2. MP Configuration -> Movies -> Post processing: DirectVobSubFilter enabled (no autoloading-version!)

With these settings everything works fine.

JackRackham

Portal Member
    January 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi all, I'm back online!

Are you using VSFilter 2.38 ?

Nope, I'm using 2.37. Can't find a setup package for 2.38, just a dll

I had the same problem when I had
    1. Haali Media Splitter settings: Autoload VSFilter: YES and
    2. MP Configuration -> Movies -> Post processing: DirectVobSubFilter enabled
    So, in order to play movies with embedded subtitles and external subtitles I have:
    1. Haali Media Splitter settings: Autoload VSFilter: NO and
    2. MP Configuration -> Movies -> Post processing: DirectVobSubFilter enabled (no autoloading-version!)
    With these settings everything works fine.

After reading your message I did some tests, and now I have a stable and fully working MediaPortal with latest nightly build!
    The issue was probably my fault, I was messing up something with the VSFilter. As I said in the first message I didn't see my own mistakes! It's really strange, I did it so many times and it always worked fine, can't understand how it did happen this time! :|

Thanks a lot for your help, you pointed me in the right direction, many many thanks!!! And many thanks also to everybody else on this thread! :)

I also want to rise a sorry-sign :sorry: for opening a thread wich wasn't really bug-related!
    Bye!!!
    --
    JackRackham

mma02

June 6, 2008
    Hi guys,
    i'm experiencing the exact problem and i didn't understand the solution (using the vsfilter not auto loading version)

i have selected the vsfilter plugin and checked the "always load" setting at the general tab.
    when i open the context menu of a playing video, i'm not getting the "subtitle" entry.

can some one fill me in?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom