virtual folder (1 Viewer)

giovifree

Portal Member
February 7, 2005
Home Country
Italy Italy
hi.............

it would be beautiful to be able to join folder in various units in an only visualization........

I explain myself better:

i have

c:\cartoon 20gb
d:\movie 100gb

when I go in menu "movie" I would have to see both folders

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    for this sort of functionality you really need to use a database view, rather than just a share view.
    If your database is populated, then it will give you everything you have. You can also define a custom view that only contains these files (at least I think you can, I am just happy with the shares view).

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

What you can use are Junction Points.
    It will allow to point to another partition/folder as it was a subfolder.

The graphic tool used is: http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm
    There are command line tools too if you like, but I am not using them.

You create an empty folder (lets call it JUNCTION) and within this empty folder, you create two junction points one to c:\cartoon and one to d:\movie

You configure MP for JUNCTION to contain movies.
    You then will be able to browse to both.

Greetz,
    Ben

maysider

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2006
    yes, this is really really needed - When I have 3 or more HDDs, it would be rather uncomfortable without this feature

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    As has been said, this is really what Database view is for, aggregating information about media files spread across multiple locations. You can also try a junction point as mentioned above if for some reason you need to use shares view.

BennieBoy

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2005
    Maastricht
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I like to have my movies structured in folders.
    Junction points are a way to point to those folders.
    Just adding all the folders with movies in the configuration tool is another way.
    From my perspective, they do the same

By the way, Junction points do not work when you try to create a JP to a shared drive, adding the folders (shared or not shared) in the configuration tool will always work.

Greetz,
    Ben

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    If your music is already organised/structured in folders then shares view should work fine for you? I have file in more than one hard drive/computer, and when I want to browse them i can just hit ".." and browse through another folder.

bedlam

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2004
    hmm, I don´t think you fully understand what giovifree is after here?
    And it really shouldn´t be that big a deal to implement... if you understand the jungle that we all know and love as Mediaportal :)

What I think giovifree is after, or at least what I´m after is the ability to specify the following in the mediaportal Setup>Movie folders:
    Name: Series
    Folder(s): d:\Series;\\myothercomputer\f$\Series\

split such a string after each ; get all subfolders/files from each of the specified folders, and sort them amongst each other, and voilá...
    but...I don´t know a thing about how MP works , so.... perhaps a dev could tell me if I´m way out in the bushes here..

/Simon

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I understand what he wants, I just wonder if Database view won't work for his needs.

Perhaps it won't for some reason, I just haven't worked out that reason yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom