Virus scanner on HTPC with mediaportal (1 Viewer)

ritchie

Portal Pro
May 27, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

just a question in matter of security.

Does it make sence to install a virus / firewall on a HTPC.
Up to now, I have installed Kaspersiky Internet security on my system and always if my system has problems, I check the virus scanner (disable to if the failure is still existing).

Ritchie

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Does it make sence to install a virus / firewall on a HTPC.

The question is, do you use it for browsing the internet\emails or running any not owned external material, ie cd's that someone else has given you, if yes to either, then AV software recommended.

ritchie

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

normally only the Mediaportal is running without any browser functions.
    But I do not know whichs ports are mediaportal open, even the plugins and the addtional free/shareware.

Does Windows Mediaplayer phones all the time at home ? (microsoft).

Ritchie

alank

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2006
    NJ
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    IMO, if you are good with PCs then no virus software is needed at all on any PC. Keep your data off your OS partition. Keep images of the OS. Keep automated backups of your data. Be careful what you do on the internet. And in the slim chance you do get a virus, simply restore your OS image and you are back in business. And keep all your boxes behind hardware firewalls. This method has been extremely effective for me.

eXDee

Portal Pro
    February 20, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't run any for performance reasons, thought my AV weapon of choice being NOD32 is pretty light, but would be unnecessary.

mikh

Portal Member
    November 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have..

..Free Avira Antivir and Windows Firewall with some required open ports. Works fine and no big recouse waste.
    I use Internet on my HTPC and use lot of external materials (most comes throught my desktop pc).

I think same as alank: If you know what you do, you dont neet virus software..
    But Win and/or hardware firewall maybe blocks attack eg. others pc:s from lan/internet so It can be turned on.
    Also latest Microsoft Updates are important and blocks also shit stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom