Vista TV scheduling (search and conflict resolution) (1 Viewer)

shagster

Portal Member
July 10, 2006
United Kindom
Started on: 2006-12-30
last update: 2006-12-30

Summary:
Improve TV scheduling and conflict resolution, looking at the way vista manages the process.

Area:
TV scheduling and conflict resolution

Description:

Just come back from a couple of weeks trail running with Vista RTM. I can safely say it won't be going back to it again!! MP kicks its inflexible, drm riddled, cut the end of programmes off (its last nail), in so many ways!! :)

The only thing I miss from the Vista experience is the way the interface works for recording TV. It is really easy and intuative and I think MP could benefit from having a look at it.

Heres a brief description of the process.

Firstly you go to a screen called scheduled recordings
Here you first see a chronological list of programmes that are to be recorded (date view). In this view all repeat recording are placed in their chronological place (The news in the example below).
e.g.

Today
12:00 - 12:30 BBC1 - The News
14:30 - 14:45 ITV - A Kids Programmes

Tomorrow
21:00 - 23:00 BBC1 - The Life of Brian

1/1
21:00 - 21:30 BBC1 - Growing Out of Trouble

etc...
or you can select the series view, which seperates all of the repeat recordings you have scheduled.
e.g.
1. The News

Each of the programmes has a recording icon (shows record once, many or if there is a conflict)

Clicking on any of the programmes takes you to a programmes details screen. This gives details of the programme. From here you have a resolve confict button on the left. This shows a screen with a kind of mini tv guide that you can see what is conflicting with what and easily select what not to record. If you deselect a programme it remains in the schedule with a conflict icon until you delete it (easy to change your mind again if you want to)

Adding a recording is also very nice. This can all be done via the guide as you would expect. But if you click to add a new recording you are given the option of search or guide. The search option the gives you the ability to do a full text search of the epg data using title, keywords etc. This makes sitting down with a magazine tv guide and finding a programme a breeze. Type the name and you get a list of matching programmes, select one and if there is a conflict you will see there and then what is is and be able to resolve it.

I probably haven't described that well enough, but I'm sure a lot of people have already seen this area of Vista....but hopefully those that haven't will get the idea.

Returning to MP this is the only part that I have found MP not doing the job as well or better.

I will grab some screenshots later if people would like them (MP is currently recording on XP)

Thanks for listening and making a top notch bit of software. :)

Shagster

p.s. If anyone has the last 15 mins of 'Perfect Parents' I would be most gratefull. (from the bit near the end where the Nun knocks on their front door).
We sat down and watched 102 mins of it, were completely gripped and just when it was getting to the conculsion.........

cowpie

Portal Member
October 6, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
The search guide options and conflict resolution is awesome in MCE2005/vista, I'll give it that! :)

trevor

Portal Pro
October 17, 2006
Chelmsford
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Have to argree completley with this, the whole scheduling/conflict part is MPs biggest let down, I get round it by using the web interface but still far from ideal.

I come from using a series 2 TiVo and I still think that was one of the best scheduling/confict interfaces, not to mention its wishlists, keyword record etc.

Realise a lot of that is very dependent on a comprehensive EPG feed, something that is difficult to get, free or otherwise.

Still think MP the best out there currently and I have tried most over the past few months, now its fully setup and working I will not be changing to anything else, and the best bit is it is opensource so if you really dont like some part you can change it.

Trevor

shagster

Portal Member
July 10, 2006
United Kindom
could you do a few screenshots from the different scheduling views?

I thought the easiest way to show you was a quick screencam.

Attached is a video of me going through the screens, scheduling some recordings and resolving conflicts.

I didn't plan the presentation very well, and was running out of free goes with the screen cam software, but hopefully it shows enough of the screens in action to give you the idea of how it works.

Shagster

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you very much - it will be time consuming and therefore no change for the next days but this part of MP will be improved for sure ;)

cowpie

Portal Member
    October 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Have to argree completley with this, the whole scheduling/conflict part is MPs biggest let down, I get round it by using the web interface but still far from ideal.

I use the xbmc interface plugin for this (it includes a search epg option like Vista in the Python script)! Sad to say we probably won't see that plugin for the new tv engine anytime soon though..

anyways, :D MP devs for all your hard work :)

EDIT: BTW, while we're on the subject of how MCE handles things, is it just me or does MEdiaportal maintain its own list of recorded tv instead of querying the recording path everytime you go into "recorded tv"? THe reason I ask is because I watch all of my shows on my xbox and delete them from there (via samba), but the recorded tv list still includes all my old deleted files.

MCE has a list of watched folders and queries them everytime to match their contents

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    01/01/2007 [15:12h] _Frodo_ added: redesigned tv scheduler so it looks a bit more like vista

Should be interesting to see how that looks!

Cowpie: MP keeps all its recorded tv information in a database, though it will pick up files copied in to the directory that weren't recorded by MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom