Vista UAC/Record/Timeshift User Rights (1 Viewer)

abi12563

December 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
When I try to record a tv movie with a non administrator account in VISTA and i got the message "Can't connect to mpg2 pin". When i try to record with a administrator account it works. I tried MP 0.2.3.0 and the latest SVN but the effect is the same. The non administrator user has full access to the recording path and when i trace MP with procmon (Sysinternals) i see no "access denied" in the registry or filesystem.

I search in the forum and found other users with the same problem. Most of them disalbe UAC and run MP under a administrator account. For security reasons this is not possible for me.

I searched a lot in the internet and logfiles. The error.log shows the message
2007-12-15 00:38:42.629200 [ERROR][6]: DVBGraph:FAILED to set timeshift file to:D:\Personal\MediaPortal\Capture\card1\live.tv 80004005
2007-12-15 00:38:42.630200 [ERROR][6]: DVBGraph:Unable to create sinksource()

In a microsoft forum i found a possible reason for this:
"Found out why this was necesary (in the documentation for IStreamBufferSink::LockProfile http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms786814.aspx); "Windows Vista or later: This method requires administrator privileges, unless you first call IStreamBufferConfigure3::confused:etNamespace with the value NULL."

So it is may be a bug in MP.

Can anybody help me?

Andreas

kypor

January 13, 2008
YES

I too have a problem similar. I'm running Vista Ultimate and can get by also by activating my hidden Administrator account and using "runas /savecred /user:Administrator MediaPortal.exe" to get by. However, I too do not want to have to do this, as it also gives me problems seeing shares over the network in Mediaportal. Something is off in Vista as far as UAC is concerned with access. I wish I knew what to do, and I hope someone has a fix for this as well. Using Administrator is simply a bandaid.

Arn01805

Portal Pro
July 31, 2006
Breda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Why you don't add your username to your local administrators group on the HTPC machine. This way your user is administrator on your local machine and doesn't affect rights on the network

abi12563

December 15, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hippi, I am not alone

Hi kypor, Hi Arn01805

thank you for your answers. Making the user to a local administrator is not a good idea for security reasons. I use the user account for surfing in the internet and reading emails. Doing this under local admin rights is a risk and is not necessary for my daily work (Except mediaportal recording :mad: )

When i wrote the problem in the forum, i hoped that a developer of mediaportal would read this. I am quite sure, that the problem is caused by a microsoft change in the IStreamBufferSink::LockProfile function for the vista operating system (details see top of thread). A small source code change in mediaport may solve the problem, but I am no developer.

So I have to wait and hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom