Vista vs. XP - please post your pros/cons (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hm .. was there any reason to use XP? :D

Oh, didn't see that coming, now the next thing that you will reveal is that you are recommending Nvidia instead of ATI :p

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I admit I now use Vista for my HTPC... HDMI just works. In XP it was always a battle, one thing would have sound the other wouldn't; then the latest nVidia drivers put the final nail in the coffin for XP and stopped it working completely!

Vista with all the extra crap turned off now starts up just as quickly as XP did.:mad:

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On Vista I have the problem that when watching TV in fullscreen for a longer time and then trying to leave MyTV by pressing ESC / ESC the whole GUI and it's animations are getting sluggish for about 5 seconds while there seems to be heavy disk activity. I don't see this problem with XP.

Is there anything which can be tweaked on Vista to get rid of this anoying beahvour?

Thanks.

Did you allready turn off the Windows Search service? (config panel>system manager>services scroll down to Windows Search, right click on it, properties, shut down and disable) it could be that when pressing the ESC button, the search service starts to index the time shift folder.

It can also be your virus scanner that starts to scan your timeshift folder when the timeshift files are closed.

Just tried a few times myself.. no problem here..

Lots

Windows Search was already turned off.
    There is not Virusscanner installed at all.
    I saw that you have 4 GB of RAM. Maybe this is the reason.
    I "only" have 2 GB which maybe is not enough for that beast.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country

Using 2gb here and its as fast as xp, the only difference I have ever noticed is more ram used, cpu about the same.

Would not even try to use a single stick of ram with Vista, as once dual channel memory mode is not used, then it's a dog.
    So if you only have 1x2gb, then you would really struggle with it.

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Using 2gb here and its as fast as xp, the only difference I have ever noticed is more ram used, cpu about the same.

Would not even try to use a single stick of ram with Vista, as once dual channel memory mode is not used, then it's a dog.
    So if you only have 1x2gb, then you would really struggle with it.

No it's 2 x 1 GB.
    Do you have superfetch enabled?

ChrisOfCatford

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    London UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

For me, Vista made dual screen handling work properly without having to use N-view. I had things opening up behind MP in XP which annoyed children/wife when I had to close MP just to click "OK".

It requires removing the 'everything going black' "Feature" when you run ANYTHING but has not required much else. This was easy though.

I had loads of problems with XP on my server. HDD errors leading to MP playing up. Vista seems to handle things better.

Haven't checked recently, but HD jumps a little for me in Vista and was OK in XP, but that may be better now (TechnoTrend released an updated driver and made everything DVB-S slightly more hunky dory).

MY PC:
    Pentium D 3.21Ghz
    2GB (4x512) RAM
    NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GS
    HDDs: 2x500 (Music/Storage),1x1TB (Rec , 1xTV) 160GB (System)
    Cooling: Tri-fan+Water cooling (ThermalTake CPU+GPU blocks + odds and sods)

Chris

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Do you have superfetch enabled?

Yep, have not changed anything from the vista Ultimate install, so how it comes is how it runs :), all with full admin account enabled, so no UAC and no other accounts.

Memory is in slots 1-2 or 3-4 I take it, there should be no other configuration necessary, unless you wanted to overclock of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom