Vista with EVR and Aero. Standby/Resume -> HDTV stuttering (1 Viewer)

zunixnuz

Portal Pro
December 23, 2007
Home Country
Austria Austria
After standby and resume HD TV channels (e.g. ORF-HD, Arte-HD; 720p) are heavy stuttering (~30-40fps).
If i do a normal system restart these channels are working smooth (~50fps).
I have tried different codec's (CoreAVC, PowerDVD) and different ATI drivers (9.4, 9.5) without success.
Only if i disable Aero, i don't have this behavior!?
Normally Aero should be enabled by using Vista and EVR, so i am a little bit confused about this :confused:

Any Ideas?

buddy101

Portal Member
June 15, 2009
Hi zunixnuz,

I have also the same problem. Only HD channels are stuttering (Premiere HD, Discovery HD, ...). Now I have disabled Aero and it's working very smooth now.
Do you know if there is any disadvantage for MP if you disable Aero? I couldn't find anything. DXVA is working for HDTV and h264 movies (CPU about 10-15% while playing 1080p) without Aero and all videos and TV is OK. MP shows also that it's working with EVR (Shift+1).

Best regards

buddy101

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Guy's just to try and pinpoint this down, does using the MP config\general "restart MP on resume" make any difference with this.

Everything I have read about EVR say it needs Aero enabled to work correctly.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Disabling aero on vista gives hugh CPU formance hit when using h264 accel. and some stuttering.
    Atleast this is what happens on my ati 3600 card.

Not recommended.

It looks like the HW accel. stuff is done disabled when u disable aero also.

/gibman

buddy101

Portal Member
    June 15, 2009
    For me, it also haven't worked if I have rebooted the system. So the option "restart MP on resume" was useless for my problem. After disabling Aero the problem is gone.

gibman. I have disabled Aero and my h264 hardware accelleration is still working (ATI driver 9.5 and PowerDVD8 for h264 from latest HDPack [ask Dr. Google ;-)]). I have watched several movies with 1080p on a full HD LCD (1920*1080) and the CPU usage is about 10-15%. The same value like with Aero enabled. I have an AMD 5050e CPU with onboard ATI 3200HD.

I had only problems with HDTV, not with h264 videos, but now the problems are gone.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    @gibman. I have disabled Aero and my h264 hardware accelleration is still working (ATI driver 9.5 and PowerDVD8 for h264 from latest HDPack [ask Dr. Google]).

Disabling AERO will introduce tearing as video cannot be synced to the v-sync signal on such cases (AERO provides that).

zunixnuz

Portal Pro
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Guy's just to try and pinpoint this down, does using the MP config\general "restart MP on resume" make any difference with this.

I have tried a manual restart of MP after resume (should be the same effect as the config option) but this does not fix the problem.
    Only a complete restart of the system brings back a stable fps rate.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Only a complete restart of the system brings back a stable fps rate.

That sounds like the drivers are not recovering correctly on resume, so back to ATI to fix I think, or possibly Windows itself.

buddy101

Portal Member
    June 15, 2009
    Hi zunixnuz,

what graphic card and CPU are you using?
    I've played a little bit around with the settings in CCC and found out, that HT2.0 (5050e + ATI 3200HD) seems to be too slow for DXVA + motion adaptive deinterlacing + Aero + HD TV (or the ATI 9.5 drivers are crap :))
    If I disable Aero and enable motion adaptive deinterlacing -> Premiere HD with EVR and 50 fps
    If I enable Aero and disable deinterlacing (set to wave) -> Premiere HD with EVR and 50 fps
    If I enable Aero and enable MA deinterlacing -> Premiere HD with EVR and only 30-40 fps.
    CPU load in all cases is about 5-10% -> DXVA is working.
    It's very funny that only HD TV has the problem. 1080i and 1080p MKVs have no problems with that.
    Is HD TV (Premiere HD for example) interlaced or progressive? And which resolution is send by Premiere?

I will disable Aero and enable manually MA deinterlacing and will take a look on tearing. If the tearing will be very bad, I will borrow a HT3.0 CPU from my work to check if this is the issue.

But it's strange that your problem is only when you wake up the system.

zunixnuz

Portal Pro
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    what graphic card and CPU are you using?
    ...HD3200 and 4050e (last system setup).
    720p HD channels and also 1080p videos are normally working without problems with this setup.

I bought a new graphic card so this issue should not me a problem longer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom