[VMR9] TV crashes with unhandled exception (1 Viewer)

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    MediaPortal Version: Media Portal 0.2.3.0 release (TVE2)
    MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2 with latest patches
    CPU Type: Pentium-M 740
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB (HD501LJ)
    Memory: 2 x 512MB Infineon DDR
    Motherboard: Asus P4P800 SE
    Motherboard Chipset: Intel 865G
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    Video Card Driver: 163.75
    Sound Card: SoundMax AD1985 (onboard)
    Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
    Sound Card Driver: WDM 5150
    1. TV Card: FloppyDTV DVB-S-CI
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 4.8.0
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia Purevideo
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Nvidia Purevideo
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
    HTPC Case: Silverstone LC-10B
    Power Supply: Coba 350W
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 525
    TV: Samsung 27" LCD LE-27T51B
    TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D/VGA @ 1360x768

Hi there,

I experience some random crashes while watching TV. First the picture freezes, then also sound. MediaPortal is running but not responding to any command. I then open taskmanager (crtl-alt-del, taskmanager) and see it running with high CPU load. When I try to get MP in foreground again nothing is shown and I still see the desktop with taskmanager.

This happend twice and a error log with lots of these messages is written:

2007-11-29 20:43:34.843750 [ERROR][MPMain]: Planescene(768,576,768,576,122809824,True,8):Unhandled exception in Error in the application. Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT* sourceRectangle, tagRECT* destRectangle, IntPtr overrideWindow)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.PresentInternal(tagRECT* sourceRectangle, tagRECT* destRectangle, Control overrideWindow)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Present()
    at MediaPortal.Player.PlaneScene.InternalPresentSurface(Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 arWidth, Int32 arHeight, Boolean InRepaint)

This appears with no special program and obviously is a directx problem. Could this exception be catched from Mediaportal?

Unfortunately I had debug log level turned off when this happend. Will enable it now and report back if it happens again.

Anyone has seen something like that before? Should I play around with driver versions or a SVN?

Edit: added the log with debug turned on, see below.
    Edit2: added VMR9 to title

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This error has been seen with ati x1250 onboard gpu and it is a problem with the video card drivers. However, I think you maybe the first to report on a NVidia card. See this thread for more info.https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ati_690g_x1250_problems-t29894.html

In this thread there is mention of the parameter FlipY and setting all references to false as a workaround. It maybe worth a try????

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    This error has been seen with ati x1250 onboard gpu and it is a problem with the video card drivers. However, I think you maybe the first to report on a NVidia card. See this thread for more info.https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ati_690g_x1250_problems-t29894.html

In this thread there is mention of the parameter FlipY and setting all references to false as a workaround. It maybe worth a try????

Thanks for that info, missed that thread. I'll continue to post there and try to cheer up those ATI users.

To all other that may have this problem, please also read on in this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ati_690g_x1250_problems-t29894.html

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    Hm... then this might be a MP bug after all?

I was following the other thread with all the ATI users, but feel like you: for me it seems to be a MP bug. I was hoping to see some other people with NVIDA or maybe Intel graphics that have the same problem and log messages.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mine does it occasionally, with an nVidia card. Next time it happens I'll try to remember to post the logs, but my spec is:
    MSI nForce mobo (Socket AM2)
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    XP Home SP2
    MP 0.2.3.0 "stable"
    PCI nVidia 5200 128Mb
    1Gb DDR2
    160Gb Seagate Baracuda, SATA 300
    Hauppauge HVR3000 (only using DVB-S at the moment)
    Antec Fusion case
    Old generic DVD/CDRW combo drive
    Microsoft remote and receiver (Hauppauge one interfered with my telly)
    Blue Two Wide skin
    Samsung 26" at 1360x768, VGA connector

The freeze happens to me when watching recorded TV as well as live, so I don't think it's a tuner-related problem. I'm using PureVideo codecs for video and sound, but it has happened to me with other codecs as well.
    The 5200 is only in there because I wanted the TV out functionality with my old telly. Now I'm using a telly with a VGA input so I'll probably take the 5200 out soon and use the on-board 6100, not that that should make any difference to the problem.

I only get this problem very rarely (possibly once a week) but it is quite annoying when it happens in the middle of watching something. It's never crashed while auto-recording, only ever while watching, so it could be related to the display driver or display functionality I suppose.

Next time it happens I'll grab a log and post it.

Rob

EDIT: Just noticed that we're both using DVB-S with PureVideo codecs and GF 5200 (and Samsung telly at 1360x768 coincidentally).

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    My original bugreport is in TV crashes with unhandled exception and another user with NVIDIA has reported the same error on his system.

Yesterday I switched back from NVIDIA driver 163.75 to 84.21 and will see, if it happens again.

Will continue posting here. Quote from above is in thread https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=213418&postcount=90

Since I switched back to the older driver 84.21 there have been also crashes with other DirectX error messages and not the ones originally reported. These look like the following and also fill up the debug log:

2007-12-13 19:26:56.046875 [Info.][MPMain]: Exception :Error in the application.
    -2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.get_DeviceCaps()
    at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.AllocResources()
    2007-12-13 19:26:56.046875 [Info.][MPMain]: Exception :Error in the application.
    2007-12-13 19:26:56.046875 [Info.][MPMain]: site :Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Caps get_DeviceCaps()
    2007-12-13 19:26:56.046875 [Info.][MPMain]: source :Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D

MP crashed while watching a DVD. I did no naviation or anything. First the picture hangs, then sound. No navigation inside MP possible.

The system specs from the first post apply for this log, just the driver version is different as stated above.

I also have removed all occurences of FlipY as suggested in the other thread. Attached is the debug log.

Will switch to BlueTwoWide for the purpose of debugging this and continue posting here.

Question to any Dev or other peoble trying to find out the cause of these crashes: should I switch to the latest released NVIDIA driver or continue testing with the old 84.21 driver. What would be more useful for us to handle this problem?

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well mine's been really stable for the last few days (although I haven't been watching that much telly), so no logs from me yet.

As a by-the-way, I did try using the mobo's built-in GF6100 with the intention of taking out the 5200 card, but the picture quality was really nasty - seemed to be a bit fuzzy or something, even on Windows desktop. So I'm sticking with the 5200 at least for now.

Rob

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    Will switch to BlueTwoWide for the purpose of debugging this and continue posting here.

Same thing with BlueTwoWide, attached are the logs.

Also I had one of the same crashes and messages in the log while watching DVD. For both TV and DVD I was using Purevideo so will try around with other codecs/codec settings.

@RobNorthcott
    Was really hoping for some logs, but maybe you can catch it later :)

Bad to hear about the low-quality output of the 6100. I had many video cards before mine with the same results. But this was two years ago...

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    After some more testing over the last days I found out the crashes/lockups only occur when the option "Use Hardware Acceleration" is enabled. When I set this to disabled (see attached screenshot) I had no crashes over the last few days. Unfortunately the playback picture looses quality when disabled and it also reduces system performance.

Since I've tested with different Forceware drivers already I suppose a different problem.

Could it be hardware incompatibility? I could not find my FX 5200 listed at http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf ...

Should I try another video card?

Attachments

• hwaccoff.png
      hwaccoff.png
      96.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom