CPU Type: P4 3.0Ghz
HDD: 160Gb
Memory: 1.5Gb
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset: ATI
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: Radeon Xpress 200 (onboard)
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card: Realtek High definition (onboard)
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi!

The volume controls (- and = keys) does not respond well in vista. This used to work fine in XP SP2. The volume does not go down or up everytime I press the - or = key on the keyboard. It seems very unpredictable and often gets "stuck". Sometimes it can takes minutes to get the volumes all the way down or up. All the other keyboard shortcuts works fine.

This problem has been documented by several users in Vista and it is probably related to some changes in the core audio components in Vista. (see this thread).

Can someone please confirm this happens on all vista machines ?

Mat

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can someone please confirm this happens on all vista machines

Happens here, have to use the code from the other thread and even that is not 100%

Do not know whether part of it may be down to the crappy Audigy4, which Creative have decided not to fully support on Vista, but i do not think so as too many other systems specifications have had same problem.

Regards

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    It doesn't work perfect in vista, you have to have master very high & then up or lower the volume with =/- , if it's to low it doesn't up the master as other thing can do. Dunno what we can do about it without breaking for other users ;)

Regards
    Roy

bleubleu

Portal Member
    February 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I understand that the volume of each application is relative to the master. This behavior is new in Vista and I have no problem with it. No need to change anything here.

The bug that I am reporting is that when I hit the -/= keys, the volume does not CHANGE. I am not complaining about how high or low it goes. The OSD appears, but the volumes stays the same. For some strange reasons, after hitting the keys 10-20 times, I sometime gets it to move up a knotch, but this seems to be very random.

Mat

Sven

Portal Member
    January 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm this: volume control was OK when I had Windows XP SP2 but it's broken in Vista.

The custom volume steps seem to work perfectly well, though. So I hope this can be fixed before 0.2.3.0 final (e.g. by internally making the custom steps the default for Vista).

bleubleu

Portal Member
    February 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Here, the custom steps seems to make it a little bit better, but it is still not as good as in XP. Some volume increments are still ignored...

Mat

bleubleu

Portal Member
    February 9, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Bump!

Since I have not received any convincing answer, here are the steps to follow to get the bug :

1- Start MP in Vista.
    2- Play a video
    3- Press - and few times, and = a few times.

For each key press, the OSD will appear and you will hear the UI sound effects, but the volume will not always change. An alternative is to start MP in windowed mode and also start the sound mixer and notice that the volume does not always change when pressing the -/= keys.

Mat

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom