Volume is considerably lower during film playback (1 Viewer)

niblet

Portal Pro
October 4, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I find that mediaportal is a lot quieter than anything else on my HTPC, I usually have the volume on my amp set to 30, to get the same level of sound when watching movies I have to crank it up to 50, if I return to windows without turning the volume down the default sounds are ear shattering!

This only seems to be a problem with video playback, the playback of MP3's seems OK.

I have everything turned up to max volume, Mediaportal in the Windows 7 volume mixer is turned up to max too.

Anyone have any ideas??

MediaPortal Version: 1.2 Alpha
MediaPortal Skin: Black Glass Nova
Windows Version: Windows 7 - RTM - x86
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 - 2.53Ghz
HDD: 5x Hitachi 500GB SATA II
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS P5E-VM HDMI
Video Card: onboard intel
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: coaxial out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Floppy DTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Virgin
HTPC Case: Zalman HD160XT Plus
Cooling: lost of fans!
Power Supply:
Remote: Emprex
TV: Panasonic 32" LCD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
that's normal behaviour due to films being generally a lot quieter than music recordings. you'll experience the same thing if you watch movies on a conventional DVD player hooked up to the same amp, or any other media player on your HTPC.

this is because film directors generally want lots of dynamic range, so that the loudest moments really do jump out, whereas record labels generally want music to be "LOUD" so the music gets put through a lot of dynamic range compression/limiting. the compression/limiting chops off the loudest peaks of the recording, meaning the overall volume can then be turned up a bit more. the more peaks you chop off, the louder you can then turn up the overall volume as a result - but this also means less dynamic range as the loudest sections are now much closer in level to the quieter section.

in short... the very loudest explosions from the very loudest action film you have are probably a similar level to your entire music collection. therefore the remaining 98% of your film soundtracks will be much much quieter than this

edit: this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ - explains very clearly what happens to music to make it so much louder. this process is generally not used at all on movie soundtracks.

niblet

Portal Pro
October 4, 2008
Home Country
Thanks for your very informative response, however, if I open a video file in something like VLC, the volume at 100% is much higher than the volume in MP at 100%....

Sorry should have made that clearer too.

Statick

Portal Pro
December 25, 2008
Home Country
have you tried simply turning up the volume within MP ?

also if you're using FFDshow codecs, check that this doesn't also have a volume setting which is effecting things too...

niblet

Portal Pro
October 4, 2008
Home Country
Yep, everything is turned up to the max, I don't use ffdshow, it's a straight out the box install, I'll check that ffdshow hasn't sneaked on with something else ;)

For instance, last night I watched an episode of Dexter, had to turn the volume up high on the amp, when it had finished, I started navigating around MP and the default navi sounds were blaring out until I turned the volume back down on my amp.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sounds definatly like an audio codec issue. Some codecs have internal mixer setup, which can lower / change volume.

What codec are you using?

niblet

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2008
    Home Country
    I've installed ffdshow, enabled the volume control in audio configuration, put the volume up to 300% and now the volume is just right when watching vide files :)

Thanks for you help guys.

Statick

Portal Pro
    December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    hmmm, i wouldn't call that fixed. it's a workaround, sure, but something is definitely not right when you have to have a 300% boost on the volume.

does it do this with all videos? what format are the videos in? have you tried a variety of different types of video - different containers, different codecs etc?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    hmmm, i wouldn't call that fixed. it's a workaround, sure, but something is definitely not right when you have to have a 300% boost on the volume.

does it do this with all videos? what format are the videos in? have you tried a variety of different types of video - different containers, different codecs etc?

Probably there is no real issue on the codec side but instead the way how currently different content is mastered. Movies are using AC3 with good dynamic range in the mix & mastering where as tv stations might be conpressing the dynamics a lot.

Only way to see (hear) the issue is to post samples for both loud and quiet media files and the others to try if the same volume difference is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom