VolumeControl plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (1 Viewer)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
Here it is, a plugin to change and display audio related information!

Highlights:
  • displays the volume and peak level for your default playback and record device
  • possibility to independent/simultaneous change of volume for playback device channels
  • offers a lot of properties to include these informations into your own skin
  • functionality to control the volume level using different settings
  • ability to change your default playback device in realtime

Installation:
  • download and start the suitable installer file "VolumeControl.mpe1" from the download repository
    or
  • download and extract the attached file "VolumeControl.zip" from this post (MediaPortal v1.6 and above) and copy all required files to your MediaPortal directory manually (see manual below for detailed instructions)
Skin support:
  • Black Glass
  • StreamedMP
  • Avallanche
  • aMPed
Language support:
  • english, german, italian (thx to Tgx)
Latest Changes (for a detailed version history, please consult the attached manual):
  • v1.7.0 – rework of configuration dialog, minor enhancements
  • v1.8.0 – functionality to share settings and profiles added, support for MediaPortal v1.12.0
  • v1.8.1 – rework of message management routines, improvements to sharing functionality, maintenance
  • v1.9.0 – support for plugin framework v1.4.0, support for MediaPortal v1.13.0
  • v1.9.1 – bugfix for default endpoint detection, maintenance release, support for MediaPortal v1.14.0
  • v1.10.0 - re-compiled release, deconstruction of not working functionalities, support for MediaPortal v1.15.0 and higher
GUI Screenshots.JPG

This is a stable version and was tested with Windows 7, 8 and 10 only, please report any bugs in this thread.

If you would like to show your appreciation and also help me to continue to provide free software please make a donation by clicking here. Thank you.

Attachments

• VolumeControl for MediaPortal.pdf
    979.5 KB
  • VolumeControl v1.10.0.zip
    4.6 MB
Last edited:

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Is this plug compiled against 1.1 alpha? I get an error in config stating that the plugin is not compatible with my version (1.02)

p.s.

Only tried the menu one just now

----EDIT----

found this in log, if it helps
2009-08-29 12:28:38.906250 [ERROR][MPMain]: Exception while loading GUIWindows instances: VolumeControlPlugin.VolumeControl
2009-08-29 12:28:38.906250 [ERROR][MPMain]: Het doel van een aanroep heeft een uitzondering veroorzaakt.
2009-08-29 12:28:38.906250 [ERROR][MPMain]: bij System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
bij System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
bij MediaPortal.GUI.Library.PluginManager.LoadWindowPlugin(String strFile)
2009-08-29 12:28:38.906250 [ERROR][MPMain]: Exception while loading ISetupForm instances: VolumeControlPlugin.VolumeControl
2009-08-29 12:28:38.906250 [ERROR][MPMain]: Het doel van een aanroep heeft een uitzondering veroorzaakt.
2009-08-29 12:28:38.906250 [ERROR][MPMain]: bij System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)
bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)
bij System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)
bij System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

-----EDIT2----

Get the same thing with the background one.

I would love some help, I could use this little plug!

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
VolumeControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.2.6

Hi joz,
I had uploaded a new version with small bugfixes, this was compiled against MediaPortal v1.0.2 libraries.
At the beginning of development for MediaPortal I had the described problems also. The cause of this is to me, however, unknown. But a small workaround works for me:
  • backup your mediaportal.xml file and open it with a text editor
  • delete all lines, which contains the entry name "VolumeControl" or "Volume Control"
  • save the file and restart the configuration utility

I hope, it helps.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

joz

Portal Pro
March 17, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Tested this again just now with new version.
Now when I enter the menu mode plugin's menu it has the missing or invalid file again (like I had with htpcinfo)
this showed in logs
2009-08-30 09:47:19.890625 [ERROR][MPMain]: Error initializing window:VolumeControlPlugin.VolumeControl Het ophalen van de COM-classfactory voor het onderdeel met CLSID {BCDE0395-E52F-467C-8E3D-C4579291692E} is mislukt vanwege de volgende fout: 80040154. VolumeControl.Core bij VolumeControl.Core.MMDeviceEnumerator..ctor()
bij VolumeControlPlugin.VolumeControl.Init()

I searched mediaportal.xml for both volume control and without space but could not find it.

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
VolumeControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.2.6

Hi joz,
sorry for the delay. After taking a look into the 3rd party source code, the comparison of Microsoft Foundation Classes and .NET libraries of XP/Vista/Win7 it seems, that some functions in the core library does not support operating systems earlier than Vista. This was new for me, sorry.
In the next days I'll try to contact the author of this library and I hope, I can find a way to support older operating systems. Please be patient.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
VolumeControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.3.0

Hi community,
this plugin was updated to version 0.3.0, now you have the possibility to adjust volume levels automatically. For configuration options, please take a look into the attached manual.
Please be aware, that actually only windows versions greater than Windows XP are supported. I'll work on a solution for this. Small hint for skinners: the button IDs changed due to internal code changes, please update adapted skin files, thx.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
VolumeControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.4.2

Hi community,
this plugin was updated to version 0.4.2, some new functionalities and bugfixes for specific hardware devices are included.
It supports operating systems like Windows Vista (x86, x64) and Windows 7 (x86, x64), due to Multimedia API restrictions other versions cannot handle the included library correctly. Sorry for this.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Chimen

Portal Pro
July 11, 2005
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Great plugin!
I use it to always set the same Master volume on mp startup.

A request would be to make it possible to use this plugin to change the master volume with my remote.
Since this can't be done with MP on Vista/Win7

Micropolis

Portal Pro
July 22, 2009
Bavaria
Home Country
Germany Germany
VolumeControl plugin for MediaPortal v0.4.2

Hi Chimen,
yes, it is possible to control the master control using this plugin, but only with a small workaround.
if I use my (normally unused) MCE remote control on my OrigenAE case it seems, that MediaPortal does not handle the VolumeUp, VolumeDown and Mute key actions. Depends on this, in my opinion it is required to use alternate keys.

Solution 1 (MCE remote control)
  • in the configuration dialog of VolumeControl, you can select between the keys to control volume, e.g. VolumeUp, VolumeDown (not working for my configuration), PageUp, PageDown (working for my configuration) and other possible keys
  • in the configuration tool of MediaPortal you configure your selected keys with "All layers/No Condition/Action..."

Solution 2 (programmable remote control, e.g. Logitech Harmony)
  • in the configuration dialog of VolumeControl, you can select between the keys to control volume, e.g. VolumeUp, VolumeDown , PageUp, PageDown and other possible keys
  • in the configuration tool of MediaPortal you configure your selected keys with "All layers/No Condition/Action..."
  • using the remote control software for Harmony you configure the selected keys directly to VolumeUp/VolumeDown keys

Solution 3 (other remote controls)
  • I'll build a version of VolumeControl, where all key actions are logged and create a small test plan
  • you install this "special version", you go through the test plan and post me the MediaPortal log for analyzing

Currently I don't know, which remote control you are using. Please post more informations about your remote control and which alternate keys are useful for you. Also, please leave a small hint, if you don't like this solution.

@other users: if anyone has a solution to handle the VolumeUp/VolumeDown key actions correctly, please post a snippet or description here, thx.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

Chimen

Portal Pro
July 11, 2005
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi Chimen,
yes, it is possible to control the master control using this plugin, but only with a small workaround.
if I use my (normally unused) MCE remote control on my OrigenAE case it seems, that MediaPortal does not handle the VolumeUp, VolumeDown and Mute key actions. Depends on this, in my opinion it is required to use alternate keys.

Solution 1 (MCE remote control)
  • in the configuration dialog of VolumeControl, you can select between the keys to control volume, e.g. VolumeUp, VolumeDown (not working for my configuration), PageUp, PageDown (working for my configuration) and other possible keys

Solution 2 (programmable remote control, e.g. Logitech Harmony)
  • in the configuration dialog of VolumeControl, you can select between the keys to control volume, e.g. VolumeUp, VolumeDown , PageUp, PageDown and other possible keys
  • using the remote control software for Harmony you configure the selected keys directly to VolumeUp/VolumeDown keys

Solution 3 (other remote controls)
  • I'll build a version of VolumeControl, where all key actions are logged and create a small test plan
  • you install this "special version", you go through the test plan and post me the MediaPortal log for analyzing

Currently I don't know, which remote control you are using. Please post more informations about your remote control and which alternate keys are useful for you. Also, please leave a small hint, if you don't like this solution.

@other users: if anyone has a solution to handle the VolumeUp/VolumeDown key actions correctly, please post a snippet or description here, thx.

Cheers, Micropolis ;-)

I don't understand this: "[*]in the configuration dialog of VolumeControl, you can select between the keys to control volume, e.g. VolumeUp, VolumeDown , PageUp, PageDown and other possible keys"

Where do I find this options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom