wake from standby over a lan (1 Viewer)

maurij

Portal Member
September 14, 2004
uk
I've seen the ability to wake a shutdown PC over a lan

http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4219&highlight=wake+lan

I'm interested in waking a pc from standby over a lan. My delimma:
My set up includes a HTPC that pulls content from a server in the back room. till now the server stays on constantly, but isn't needed unless the htpc/mediaportal is on. I would like to write a script that wakes the server from standby over the lan and starts mediaportal. However, i'm not sure its possible to use the ethernet port to wake from S3 standby. The is an option under device manager/power mgmt for the port, but its shaded out.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone any experience with this? I am still looking into it myself and will post results, but thought I would inquire here first.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Works for me. I can wake my machine up from S3 standby and hibernation. I use a simple utility from www.matcode.com that I run with a batch file which sends the Magic Packet to the MP machine.

What I suggest is using the StartOnWake program mentioned in this forum, and make it run a batch file that starts up your server (using the commandline program I mentioned before).

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom