Wake on LAN from Client to TV Server (1 Viewer)

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all,
    I have an experimental client (eeeBox B206) running MP1.0.2 and a fullblown MP/TVServer 1.0.2 mediacentre.

The main mediacentre box goes to standby when not in use. But when I start up the client (also usually from standby), the mediacentre remains in standby.

Searching through the posts, this seems to be a problem with almost all multi-seat configurations, with a variety of half-solutions or solutions on old MP versions. I haven't yet found a well documented working solution for MP1.0.2.

The closest I've got to is a WOL.Bat file kicking off wolcmd which wakes up the main mediacentre perfectly - except I haven't found a way of running it when the client PC comes out of standby :)growl:).

I've seen numerous pending requests for the developers to make an automatic addition to MP to do a WOL.

Can anyone tell me how best to address this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
    ...Steve

Oh - and despite this niggle - MP rocks:D

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, here is a small client/server solution to wake up server and prevent to go back to standby while using it. Yo can place it in autostart folder or use the MCE Standby Tool like kiwijunglist descibed.

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    what about putting wol.bat into the startup folder for all users

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Sorry - no good. Coming out of standby doesn't run Startup files. Thanks anyway!

Working through the other suggestions and will reply.

Cheers
    ...Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi, here is a small client/server solution to wake up server and prevent to go back to standby while using it. Yo can place it in autostart folder or use the MCE Standby Tool like kiwijunglist descibed.

Hi netexplorer.

This is interesting, but I'm having a little difficulty getting it to work.

Before that, though I tried setting the WOL settings in the server to be more sensistive (Wake on Direct I think it was called) and that worked too much - the MC would continuously go into standby and then wake up a agin a few seconds later!!

So back to your nas apps.

I configured the server and the client as per instructions. The client "nas" icon constantly shows "server offline", and the server goes into standby after the usual period of time.

Attached are the nas client and nasserver .ini files, and a server log file. The server is 192.168.1.3 and the client is 192.168.1.13

Any ideas?

Cheers
    ..Steve

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    VidarParry
    Hi, please check in taskmanager if the process nasserver.exe is running. Maybe the empty password is a problem, due to Microsoft limitations. You can try to start the process manualy in a commandline window using the psexec.exe tool.

VidarParry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @VidarParry
    Hi, please check in taskmanager if the process nasserver.exe is running. Maybe the empty password is a problem, due to Microsoft limitations. You can try to start the process manualy in a commandline window using the psexec.exe tool.

@netserver
    Yes - nasserver service is running.

Cheers
    ...Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom