Wakes up for recording and hibernates right before it starts? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    [PLEASE SEE POST #4 FOR PROPERLY ANALYZED LOG FILES FROM MY OWN HTPC]

MediaPortal Version: SVN from today
    Windows Version: Windows MCE + Rollup 2
    CPU Type: Athlon 64 X2 4200+ EE(AM2)
    HDD: Western Digital 3200KS 320GB
    Memory: 2x1 GB SuperTalent 667Mhz DDR2
    Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
    Motherboard Chipset: Nforce 6150
    Motherboard Bios: -
    Video Card: Onboard 6150
    Video Card Driver: 91.47
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Sound Card AC3: -
    Sound Card Driver: -
    1. TV Card: FloppyDTV DVB-S
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: ?
    2. TV Card: Hauppage Nova-t 500MCE
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver: ?
    3. TV Card: Hauppage 150MCE
    3. TV Card Type: Analogue
    3. TV Card Driver: ?
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PureVideo
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: PureVideo
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Canal Digital (denmark)
    HTPC Case: Antec NSK2400
    Cooling: Box cooler
    Power Supply: Some anctec, not sure of specs
    Remote: MCE 2005
    TV: Phillips 28" CRT
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

Problem:
    My parents have had some problems with standby/resume for recordings on their HPTC(specs above), so i schedule one recording for 18:25 - 21:00(South Park) and one for 19:25 - 21:00(Point blank). Before the first one started it hibernated and seemed to start up again on time, recorded south park and hibernated. Then shortly before the next show it resumes waits until the recording is JUST about to start and then hibernates! It didnt seem like it was going to resume again, so at around 19:50 (25 minutes into the second show) i resumed i manually as can be seen in the log.

I have attached a screenshot from the scheduled recordings screen after i resumed manually, showing the two recordings.

Normally i wouldnt hasten to report this as a bug, but the behavior and the logs seem very strange to me.

To avoid manually searching through the log, search for this line:
    2006-10-18 19:23:24.656250 [Debug][MPMain]: Stopping recorder before hibernate

This is the hibernate that shouldnt be happening(because the recording is due 19:25).

Another part of the log(before even the first show) i find very disturbing is this:
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][MPMain]: Scheduler:Recordings changed
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][MPMain]: PowerScheduler: OnRecordingsChanged()
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][MPMain]: ConflictManager.Initialize()
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][MPMain]: Recorder:confused:topRecording(Point Blank)
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][MPMain]: add cmd:MediaPortal.TV.Recording.CancelRecordingCommand #1
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][6]: Command:Cancel recording Point Blank 19:25:00-21:00:00
    2006-10-18 18:07:47.507230 [Info.][6]: Command:MediaPortal.TV.Recording.CancelRecordingCommand failed reason:No tuner is recording the specified show time:0 msec

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have an additonal set of log files from my parents HTPC. It again messed up the recordings though this time it created a few small files for some of the recordings.

The log files are attached. Note that the log files intersect midnight so the first log is in the *.bak files, while the last part is in the *.log files.

I have disabled automatic shutdown completely on their HTPC, until i know what is going on(this was luckily a test run but they get cranky if their new HTPC messes up recordings :)

I havent had time to look through the log files myself, but there is definetly something fishy going on because they dont have problems recording or watching otherwise.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    MediaPortal Version: SVN today
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: Athlon 64 3000+
    HDD: Samsung Spinpont 250GB
    Memory: 1.5GB DDR400
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-E
    Motherboard Chipset: Nforce 4
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: ATi X550
    Video Card Driver: Cat 6.9
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Twinhan Cab CI (2031)
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    1. TV Card Driver: 1.2.3.8
    2. TV Card: Twinhan Cab CI (2031)
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    2. TV Card Driver: 1.2.3.8
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: Intervideo
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: Intervideo
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: TDC
    HTPC Case: Noname
    Cooling: Thermal Take Sonic Tower
    Power Supply: Noname 350+ modded with 92mm Silenx Fan
    Remote: MCE 2005
    TV: Phillips 28" CRT(for now :)
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HDMI

I ran 4 recordings overnight, and i can confirm the problematic behavior on my own HTPC. That makes two seperate machines with the same problem.

Here is the full description:

I scheduled the following recordings(all on the 20th october):
    A - 'Når mænd er værst' 01:20 - 01:55
    B - 'Alias' 2:40 - 3:25
    C - 'Scrubs (2)' 6:05 - 6:30
    D -'Duck Dodgers' 06:55 - 7:15

The result is that A appears to have been recorded in MP, ie it is listed in Recorded TV, but only a 6kb file was created. B is recorded correctly, while the remaining to recordings apparently never took place.

Im not sure what went wrong with A, but the problem with C is exactly the issue i saw with my parents HTPC.

Looking in the logs around the time i get the following:
    03:42:41 Suspend
    05:58:22 Resume ( resume for C )
    06:01:19 Suspend (!)
    06:46:59 Resume ( resume for D )
    06:49:29 Suspend (!)
    19:48:48 Manual Resume ( me waking it up to get logs )

Notice that before each recording it is resuming as it should an then shutting down again!

One very strange thing i notice looking in the logs is that even during the time for recording B see this:
    2006-10-20 02:53:28.484375 [Info.][MPMain]: PowerScheduler: ShutdownManager()
    2006-10-20 02:53:28.484375 [Info.][MPMain]: - Recorder.IsRecording() = False

Note that recording B DID go ok, i have watched over the spot where it says it isnt recording, and it definetly WAS recording.

There is also a lot of other strange things going on with the powermanagement but im not familiar enough with the log statements to know if its correct or not.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Has anyone taken a look at this problem?

I can run some more tests if required...

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    I am having a very similar behaviour since i installed new TV-Cards (now i am having 3). Some recordings work, but mostly my HTPC resumes and then hibernates when recording is going to start.

I reported that on IRC already and Bavarian made some changes to Powerscheduler-plugin. But atm i am still having these problems. And Bavarian seems to be busy since he didnt show up at IRC.

So seems to be a bug then...

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would suggest that you upgrade to the latest SVN if possible and then maybe try an overnight recording of 3-4 shows with enough interval between them that the HTPC will hibernate in between recordings.

Afterwards, post the log files here, so we can get it confirmed properly.

Thorsten

Portal Member
    October 12, 2006
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I think, this is a windows problem. If you wake-up an office-pc and don't touch any key it went back to hibernate about one minute later.
    This happens to me every morning. :) Turn on pc. go get a coffee. when i'm back at the pc it is off again.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Sorry, but its NOT a windows problem. My Windows power options are set to 'Always On' and edited to never allow windows to hibernate automatically.

Furthermore, the HTPC never powers off when left on the desktop.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I had this a while back as well. MP would wake my computer and then shut it down before the recording took place. I worked around it by setting the wake-up time shorter than the sleep time. It seems my problem was MP would wake up 3 minutes before a recording, then after one minute realize it's been sitting idle on the home screen for one minute and therefor go to sleep. I don't know if that's your problem but you might want to check your powerscheduler timing settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom