[ATI] WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels. (1 Viewer)

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I feel it's important to let any possible future ATI customers know about this very annoying issue.

I've been bugged by this for over half a year.
    The problem has by ATI been know for almost a year.

The problem is...
    Most HTPC users would probably want to use gpu hardware h264 acceleration (aka dxva) on those TV channels supporting it (h264).

Sadly it doesn't work for several european channels-
    The result is major pixelation and an entirely corrupted image when using dxva on an ATI card.

eg.
    DR HD (denmark: dvb-t h264@1280x720)
    http://install.team-mediaportal.com/ts/The_Gift_-_DR_HD_-_2009-12-23.ts
    http://install.team-mediaportal.com/ts/Anamorph_-_DR_HD_-_2009-11-01.ts

The problem is evident on windows7, possible vista too.
    It happens on any mediaplayback application utilizing directshow and a dxva enabled h264 codec.
    In other words it happens on: mce, mediaportal, bsplayer etc etc.

It's important to state that it happens on any h264 dxva capable that I know of:
    eg.
    win7 codec
    powerdvd
    etc.

Apparently AMD/ATI refuses to fix this well known issue.
    They claim it's microsoft problem solely.

A well known fix is to use a nvidia card instead. This works perfectly. eg. a gt220.
    Or you could disable dxva too and instead listen to a noisier CPU fan and crappier video deinterlacing and so forth.

Atleast I now know where I will place my hard earned cash the next time I opt for a new gfx card.

several links about the issue:

AMD Game Forums - Danish DVB-T HDTV is still broken.
    AMD/ATi UVD with bad H.264 error concealment? [UPDATED] - CiNcH's DVB & HTPC Blog
    BBC HD corrupts rhythmically after 30 secs - The Green Button
    Celebrating Windows 7 | Nigel Dessau

danish
    Pixelering på DR HD - recordere.dk forum - Side 27

be aware:
    the moderator at amd.com seems all too eager to close any threads posted about this issue.
    At least this one is safe :)

/gibman

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    AW: WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels.

Thanks for the hint gibman,

its really frustrating how ATI treats customers and especially very precise reports of bugs. The link you posted: AMD Game Forums - Danish DVB-T HDTV is still broken. frustrates me most. How can a Moderator of ATI Forums simply close this thread when its crystal clear it does NOT happen only with Win7-Codecs.

Really bad, bad, bad behaviour.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: AW: WARNING: pixelation/corruption on h264 channels.

How can a Moderator of ATI Forums simply close this thread when its crystal clear it does NOT happen only with Win7-Codecs.

Really bad, bad, bad behaviour.

I cannot agree more: the answer given from the moderator is too simplicistic and is a try to hide the real problem.
    Going to post in MS forum as well so at least they know the way ATI answers.

Gibman, :D for pushing ATI for a fix.

Simone

mce_user

Portal Member
    July 12, 2006
    Hi

i have a 4550 card that i bought specifically because it was touted as having hardware acceleration for HD content and that it was fanless and therefor perfect for a mediacenter PC.

I too am stunned that the ignorant moderator at that forum just closed a thread where costumers were expressing real reproduceable problems.

I for one can only warn people strongly about getting ATI cards for their HTPC's and i hereby wow that i will NEVER buy another AMD / ATI product.

A company THIS careless about the costumers problems in regards to real problems does not deserve to have my money (Or anyone else's for that matter)..

Nvidia (+intel) all the way for me in the future.

mce_user

chemelli

Post link to thread at MS and we will back you up there :)

mce_user

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for the alert, gibam.

Was planning on getting a HD5xxxx-card very soon. I will either postpone this, or go nVidia (in case I bother going DVB-S again).

nikos1671

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2008
    Germany
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    users of mediaportal that own ati cards should bomb amd forums with thousands of post.what they would then???they will take it more serius...

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    How about a news entry/blog post about this on the homepage? Would certainly reach more people and maybe put a little pressure on AMD (probably not though ;)).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    How about a news entry/blog post about this on the homepage? Would certainly reach more people and maybe put a little pressure on AMD (probably not though ;)).

In the same post I would propose to add some info about the flickering GUI. No help has been received from the ATI/AMD support. Unless you are willing to accept the fact that telling to MediaPortal developer (support was aware of the position, at least it was told) to use some different software is considered as a such :)

It is not that there aren't any troubles with Intel / Nvidia HW or drivers in the HTPC enviroment... for example Intel ignores quite well the 24Hz issues:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1241833

Regarding your question, please be aware that the monitor resolution or refresh rate is actually unrelated to the frame rate in which a movie is recorded.

There is a difference between Hertz and Frames per Second, and the monitor refresh rate does not need to match the actual frame rate the movie. The refresh rate of the monitor is much higher than that of a Bluray disk, which means that the movie will reproduce without problems.
    Let us know if you have any questions.

Response from a not so technical Intel support person :D

All in all... I think all GPU manufactureres have nice products (with still some desing flaws or limitations or crappy drivers :)), but their support and understanding of the HTPC area is almost non exsistent where as their marketing deparments bash their mouths how good their GPUs are for HTPC environments.

btw. I haven't still received a single sample GPU from HW companies, so they are not managed to corrupt my objective view on the fact that all GPUs are faulty on someway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom